Featured More Kuchi jewellery? Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Mar 3, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

A short while ago I posted a three prong ring which @Any Jewelry identified as Kuchi.
    In my lot of spares & repairs I received today look what I found!
    If I am correct in looking at the flower which is very similar to the other ring, this too is Kuchi? Part of a ring that attaches to a bracelet maybe?
    The dangles may or may not be of the same ilk? Or not?
    Thanks for looking :)
    13804E3D-CE8B-4BC4-B0DA-EDCDBB53E42D.jpeg 19E1A401-01E8-45E2-BDDC-8021072D18A3.jpeg 890EC352-38E2-464C-AAD2-3FFAF47FDF22.jpeg 83A1B325-BA75-4175-8107-CBEC0FC03078.jpeg
    The three prong ring from the previous post.
    26B8B71C-15AD-4401-A3A3-2FD11AF69AE3.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Dagestan, not Kuchi.;)
    Either Middle East or Afghanistan, but I'd have to check.
    Not Kuchi. They look like decorative buttons and could be from the Balkans. I'd have to check those too. They are very beautiful.

Many people use Kuchi for anything ethnic looking. Most real Kuchi work is set with very colourful foil-backed glass. It is not a style known for filigree.

[​IMG]

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Oopsy, I even went back to check the other post and still got it wrong :rolleyes:
    Is this ring possibly Dagestan too?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

No, it isn't imo. It looks like the interlinked thing is meant to rest on the hand. If so, it would have had a bracelet on the other end.
    I am off now, hopefully I'll be back later today.

judy and KSW like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I still haven't found anything.:sorry:
    Search terms for the hand bracelet thingie could be the Indian term 'hathphool', hand rose, or slave bracelet.
    Search term for the buttons could be filigree toggle buttons.

judy and KSW like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

While some styles of filigree are distinctive to certain origins, it can be problematic in that the same techniques were used in various countries - that said, believe the buttons are most likely European, the same shape and motif appears in marked Swedish buttons...

Here are some different filigree buttons, the description referencing a 2007 article:

filigreebuttons-silverman.JPG

A couple very similar to yours at the V&A, Swedish makers:

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O296105/button-gyberg/
    filigreebutton-gyberg-VA.JPG

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O147735/button-nils-ramberg/
    filigreebutton-ramberg-VA.JPG

Already had those at the V&A in my files from research a few years ago on my 1891 Swedish souvenir spoon with the same design as a finial:

hallberg1891twistspoon-composite-2.jpg

~Cheryl

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow, Thankyou all for your research and research leads!.
    Amazing two little buttons could be so interesting. Off to do some reading but I really appreciate your help as I was clueless :kiss:

kyratango, judy and DragonflyWink like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The spoon has almost exactly the same design!
    Am I allowed to give them a gentle clean?. Several of those links mention marks- I can’t see any but there is so much dirt and gunk on them they may be hidden.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

Looks there's still quite a bit of the gilding present, and will probably look good with just a bit of gentle cleaning. There is a very good chance that they don't bear any marks - they're very nice, I'd want them in my hoard regardless of their origin...

~Cheryl

kyratango, judy and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. As always it’s the things I post as an afterthought that are often the most interesting. They arrived as part of a joblot- I was really after the moonstone bits and hadn’t taken much notice of the rest :rolleyes:.
    Do you think they are contemporary with your spoon?
    Not sure I’ll be making earrings out of these as they are quite heavy!.

kyratango and judy like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

I'd think they're probably earlier, more like early to mid 19th century, possibly even late 18th...

~Cheryl

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I had no idea. I have so much to learn.
    Thankyou.

kyratango likes this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

15. Any Jewelry

Yes, that was already in my bookmarks.:)
    One problem though, I object to the term peasant silver. A lot of this silver was worn by townspeople, and it was often worn by people of any profession or background.
    For instance, Dutch silver buttons were worn by lawyers and doctors as well. And in the rich capitals of the provinces involved in international trade, like Zeeland and Friesland.
    There were peasants who couldn't even afford any silver. As for the Turkoman pieces, those were mostly worn by nomads, who by definition can't be peasants.

Why not call it regional silver? Provincial silver, if you like.

Ok, rant over.:hilarious:

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Probably a term used by one person in an article that’s been copied until it’s been accepted as the truth.
    As you say, buying silver buttons wasn’t likely to have been a priority when you barely have enough money to eat!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Exactly! And at one time, in parts of southern Germany and Bohemia it was forbidden to wear silver if you didn't belong to the aristocracy or clergy.

Non-peasant gold and silver buttons on the clothing of Dutch admiral de Ruyter, from Zeeland:;)

[​IMG]

kyratango, Kathy Anderson and KSW like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Definitely not Peasanty!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Found these photos sent to me from someone on FB.
    4219968F-1435-46C0-9893-044243BC7F51.jpeg 9EC5EF82-6310-4B3A-830B-486A7D93E6CC.jpeg 51C5BDD0-49D0-4EBE-98EC-F073BDCF7A87.jpeg
    Sorry about the title @Any Jewelry :bag:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

Started collecting buttons in the mid '70s (haven't been active for several years), but don't recall the 'peasant button' term in common use among collectors until Jane Perry's book came out a few years back. While I agree it not really an appropriate description or generalization, and wouldn't use it, it's nothing new, 'peasant' has been used in referring to traditional European jewelry, silver, etc. from well back in the 19th century (sometimes specifying 'wealthy' or 'prosperous' peasants), and likely where Perry took it from (she doesn't call all the buttons in it 'peasant', but the majority). I have the book, thought it was here, but it's apparently packed away in a box somewhere - it gets into a group of buttons not really covered well in other references before, and clearly she did her research, but as said before, given the similarities in filigree techniques and general forms, attribution can be iffy, since very similar pieces could have different origins, the reason I only showed marked pieces with the same motifs for likely attribution.

Here's a page from The Studio magazine's 'Peasant Art in Sweden, Lapland and Iceland' (1910):

filigree-buttons-Peasant-Art-in-Sweden-Lapland-Iceland-1910-The-Studio.JPG

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted