Featured More Paperweights + Question about Condition

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lew Fisher, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

Hi, Folks-
    As promised here are some more paperweights from the collection I'm selling. These are all Paul Stankard weights acquired in the 1970's through the early '90's. Believe they were all bought new. I ran out of space for all the pix. I have a question regarding the condition. There seems to be a line that travels around the midsection of each, from in the making. You can't feel it. My search of other Stankard weights shows a number of others with this line too. Is it a common issue with his weights. Nobody seems to mention it as a condition issue. I can't imagine it was considered a flaw as good money was paid for them, over $2000 for a couple. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks. DSCN7159.JPG DSCN7160.JPG DSCN7162.JPG DSCN7171.JPG DSCN7172.JPG DSCN7173.JPG DSCN7177.JPG DSCN7184.JPG DSCN7185.JPG DSCN7190.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those are lovely and your pics are fantastic. Ive always thought that line meant it was a fused piece,therefore not worth as much .But I could be very wrong.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful orchid!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those look like annealing fractures to me.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Just lovely and what stunning photos.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those are some drop dead gorgeous weights, I love them:)
    not damage or a flaw, just part of the process from making the piece. I had some weights with the same line and wasn't sure, I asked on the Glass Message Board about it and one of the paperweight folks there explained it.
    This is just an artifact of the manufacturing process. The cane used for the torsade most likely was not made from the same melt of glass as was the dome of the paperweight. This can result in minor differences in the optical qualities / index of refraction of the clear glass used. This is especially true in older work where the batch materials were not as precise in chemical content and the systems for measurement and mixing were similarly less precise. When such a difference exists it is visible in the way seen here, light is refracted as it crosses the line of transition creating a visible "seam" where no gap or air is present.
    here is one of the weights I was asking about, at St Louis Upright Bouquet
    DSC08990.jpg

dgbjwc, patd8643, Miscstuff and 8 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Well explained. :happy: And good to know!

P.S. Can see why people fall in love with these incredible paperweights. The glasswork is just gorgeous.

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Paul built his 'scene' on a work bench. When it was complete he placed it on a very hot puck of optical glass, covered it with another puck. His secret was how he eliminated the air between everything. What you are seeing is the contact between the two pucks. no harm, they all have it, just doesn't show on some.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just to chime in for no reason, those are gorgeous. A few paperweights have collected me over the years, but nothing like that.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Always learning on here. Thats why I love this place. :)

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

12. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

DSCN7202.JPG DSCN7203.JPG DSCN7206.JPG DSCN7207.JPG Thanks for all your comments and collective wisdom. I feel much better about having described them as I did. I've learned a lot the past few weeks about paperweights and learned to appreciate their artistry on a whole other level. Here's another one, maybe the best-another Stankard...I ran out of room in the original post.

judy, quirkygirl, janettekay and 4 others like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

just lovely!
    finding one of his weights is on my wish list:)

14. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

@Lew Fisher Gorgeous...but then most Stankards are !;) Being from NJ..I always had a soft spot for his weights...alas..I only have 1 of his...(1976) His early weights were not as complex as his newer..but that is all I could afford !
    His current weights run into the thousands..and are much larger than his older weights and so very detailed . They are truly works of art by a master....

. I am glad you now know the line is not a flaw..almost all of his have it ! I love all yours but esp the lady slipper (single pink).. I would love to add it to my collection...if the price was right ;). PM me if you want.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Just how do you remove the air????:artist::artist::artist:
    Curious.:rolleyes:

all_fakes and judy like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Paphiopedilum orchid - aka lady slipper

janettekay and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. lvetterli