More questions!

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Hello again, and Happier New Year to all!

I have a couple more items that I can't identify.

One is a larger basket, one in a lot of Northwest baskets. It seems to have been stained and to have had something stitched to it at one time. Maybe felt?

The second one, the small stone walrus, reminds me of Inuit carvings, but it's unsigned and I don't know enough to say if the stone looks 'right.'

And on the larger carving, I can't find a name to match with the combination of syllabics and numbers on the bottom. (And, btw, I don't know what the boy is doing to the seal?!?)

Thank you so much for looking!
    563BD26E-CC1D-404E-928D-7E57E136BD3B.jpeg 895163D1-6EC8-4F1D-9A8E-C7B716B0B111.jpeg 7629619E-0404-4245-AF12-D0DFF9659A96.jpeg 255F444D-6B6B-486E-961D-478F65B22983.jpeg A6C87907-4A53-43BD-A128-5D46A8887ED3.jpeg 885D0CF6-1DCE-4C99-88D1-42353E0A6EE5.jpeg 86DA8975-6513-4C75-8858-A00B3A2C4A52.jpeg 18837B0F-1FB0-43BD-B0D8-CB5BE13621B2.jpeg D979D3A4-5708-45E5-8397-4DFB1497CEA0.jpeg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Stone on the boy/seal looks like the old Port Harrison material and that's the old version of the sticker... no doubt someone will be along to clarify/identify.
    The #2 will tell you the location (I forgot what 2 is but think it's what I said above)

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

As blooey says, the carvings look good; the basket, I'd think is not Makah or Nootka - the bottom does not look quite right for those. Other than that, baskets aren't my core area. @Taupou

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Thank you-- I did wonder about the stone on the larger of the carvings, and if it wasn't serpentine.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    judy likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I wasn't too far off - #2 is Great Whale River, just up the road from Port Harrison - I thought the stone looked like the old stuff from that area:rolleyes:

Oh and I just checked with one of my old pieces - your sticker is the later version not the early one - no biggie though, still not too new either!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  6. Potteryplease

Nice! Thank you for identifying that!

judy likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The basket looks like it is made from some type of palm fiber. I have not seen this particular technique before. It does not appear to be typical twining, but rather a combination of stakes (the flat, radiating parts) and coiling. I don't think it is Native American, but not sure where it might be from. Perhaps Taupou will recognize it. @komokwa?

8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

@Taupou Help on basket? Thanks.

judy likes this.
  9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The basket has the typical spoke-like start associated with Chinese baskets, but I wouldn't say definitely that's what it is.

It's difficult to determine the material it's made with from the photo. The "Z" twist to the twining would be a clue also, as well as the kind of vertical or ribbed orientation appearance of the twining stitches on the outside.

In one of the photos, it almost looks like there are remnants of colors, like paint (?) on the sides. If so, I would lean more toward it being one of those Chinese sewing basket, that have a painted design on the outside, missing its lid. Not the split bamboo ones, with the beads, coins, tassels, and glass rings, (but I can't find any illustrations of them right now.)

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

10. Potteryplease

I do think that it was painted or stained, and that it had a lid at one time, so those are good clues. When in doubt, it seems, a Chinese origin is a safe bet for what I keep finding.

Thanks again for your expertise!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted