More rugs, throws

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by nursenancy4, May 5, 2016.

1. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

have these, I think 2 might be Native American would appreciate if you can verify, thank you Grey one looks as if it might have been put in a dryer, binding is very tight causing it to curl, and not lie flat, can I DO anything to fix it. IMG_2430 (800x482).jpg

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Nancy,
    I have had some success in wetting the edges and place between two heavy weights. I use wax paper between the rug and the weights, on both sides. I keep it wet/damp so it does not dry too quickly.
    greg

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1st one is Navajo.......Crystal storm design
    brown is Chimayo..

the others.......????

scoutshouse and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

thanks Greg Ill try that.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I have an Avoca mohair bedspread - it's one of my prized possessions - I made the mistake of agitating it a little too much and that's when I learned about felting. The the water opens the wool cuticle and the agitation causes the fibers to interlock tighter and tighter.

It's still nice and loose, but I lost a few inches, enough to make it a little short on the sides :(

No amount of stretching has helped - stretching it one way just causes the other way to shrink. I fantasize about blocking it on a nail studded frame, but it's really large, and I'm not that ambitious. Maybe carpet strips?

Wait: Here's a video on how professionals block carpets/rugs (it's hard to hear everything) - they use staples to stretch wet rugs to flat/square. There are a number of other videos there, as well.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Felted mohair... if I weren't allergic I'd be jealous.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I can't use it right now, bc of Shika-san - black cat >.<

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

AKA the Shedding Machine? That's why I have a cheap piece of fleece on mine as a cover. Machine washable and the cats like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted