More Silver Help Needed

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Aug 23, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here are some more pieces that I need help with.
    #1 are a pair of bowls/baskets 6"L x 4 3/4"W x 1 3/4"H 1894 Aldwinckle & Slater. Are these for bread?
    #2 are a pair of small bowls - 4 3/4"L x 1"H 1895 Fenton and Staniforth. Are these nut bowls?
    #3 I have 6 of these spoons but can't find the mark, hoping someone will know it.
    #4 are 4 open salts 1898 Henry Matthews Sheffield. The black parts won't come off - should these go to the scrap pile?
    any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking

DSC08537.jpg DSC08511.jpg DSC08561.jpg DSC08560.jpg DSC08559.jpg DSC08552.jpg DSC08553.jpg DSC08555.jpg

Attached Files:

gimbler-dave and KingofThings like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are those salts supposed to be sterling? Maybe try cleaning them with something like acetone and then polishing again. I'm just wondering if there might be something like lacquer on the interior that's stopping the polish from getting at the silver. No idea how likely that may or may not be.

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That's a very unusual spoon construction. The armorial is a gay lion waving goodbye to his sailor boyfriend. Well, that's what I see, anyway. Does the mark in the last mini-picture relate to the spoon?

Looks like salt may have corroded the salts. Probably scrap. Get the black out and they will be badly pitted. The other things may well be as you suggest. I simply describe that sort of thing by size and weight and let the buy decide what they are for.

silverthwait likes this.
  4. afantiques

Acetone probably won't help, boiling them in water might.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol af, I see a lion holding a pint of ale. yes, the last mini photo is the mark on the spoon. They don't attach to a magnet so I'm not sure if silver.
    No lacquer on the inside, don't think there was a gold wash. I wondered if they should have had glass inserts.
    I agree, the salt has corroded the silver so I will put them in the scrap pile.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What item(s) is the B&S mark on?

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

bakers, B&S is the open salts marks

8. Bakersgma

cxgirl likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, good catch bakers. I messed up when posting. I have a mustard pot with the Matthews mark but decided with the holes it should just go to scrap so I removed it but left part of the information.
    DSC08546.jpg DSC08547.jpg DSC08548.jpg

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about their origin, but really like the #1 bowls... they're very graceful looking.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

No problem, cx. I saw that you're probably sending the salts to scrap too, so it doesn't really matter. I was just wondering how you got so far away on the reading of the marks. ;)

cxgirl likes this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

They are nice Pat - not sure if the design is considered pierced or not.

14. afantiques

Whatever you do, keep the spoon, that is very odd. Does the tree like symbol have tiny letters c and s beside it? Could stand for Case Silver, going by the name. Not that I know of any such silversmith.

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

there are six of those spoons. I'll double check in the morning but I believe it says 'CASR' rather than CASE, will check to see if there are tiny letters. All of them have that zig zag mark where the handle joins the bowl, not sure what that is about.

komokwa likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

On really bad tarnish, I use Mother's Aluminum polish, found in the automotive department of Wally World.
    Anyway put it on somewhat thickly and let it sit for a while 1/2 hour or more. Use a soft cloth and elbow grease. When done wash with Dawn detergent.

17. afantiques

Zig zag marks are usually assay marks, made by the assayer gouging out a sliver of metal.

18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Cxgirl - the cobalt liners can still be bought!

And, Af - that lion is sitting on a breadstick. ??!!

19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

20. afantiques

Well done, that last mark is obviously the one on the spoon , unblurred.

I do not see many Portugese silver items but it explains the odd construction. Now I can rest in peace, with the last of life's mysteries made clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted