Moroccan plate Bruss mounted, signed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sayada Mona, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Sayada Mona

Sayada Mona Member

2. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

It's gorgeous Sayada :happy::happy::happy: Where did you get it? And.....welcome :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The first part of the mark appears to read 'Safi' which is a well known Moroccan ceramics region, the second part is Arabic, I'm not familiar enough with the language to be able to translate it, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't say 'Safi' as well.

@Any Jewelry - this is what we were discussing the other day, interestingly this one seems to have English and Arabic, I wonder if some dating information can be gleaned from whether the marks are English or Arabic.

TraceyB and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is the typical Safi style.
    We could speculate that the addition of English has to do with more tourism or export, so more recent, but I have no information on that. It could also depend on the maker. I suspect the Arabic part is a signature. Could be Tamazight (Berber language) written in Arabic script.
    It doesn't have much age, but that doesn't matter, it is a nice, decorative piece.

judy, Ce BCA and TraceyB like this.
  5. Sayada Mona

Sayada Mona Member

Thanks a lot, Dear. I don't remember now I have some collection from a long time.
    Thank you very much.

judy, Any Jewelry and TraceyB like this.
  6. Sayada Mona

Sayada Mona Member

Thanks, everyone. This plate is crackled on both sides, please take a look. plate14.jpg

TraceyB, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Don't worry, that isn't a problem, it is intentional, for a decorative effect. It can be achieved by cooling a piece quickly after it comes out of the kiln.

TraceyB and judy like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What you are showing is called crazing - cracks in the glaze but not the body. It's quite common in ceramics. I disagree with AJ that it's intentional. It can be so, but is usually much more pronounced in such cases. It makes the piece decorative only as the crazing allows the piece to easily become stained.

Any Jewelry and TraceyB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted