Moroccan Sultan being received at the Court of king Louis XIV print provenance

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

20180428_123337.jpg 20180428_123935.jpg 20180428_123433.jpg 20180428_123952.jpg 20180428_123942.jpg 20180428_123337.jpg 20180428_123935.jpg 20180428_123433.jpg 20180428_123952.jpg butmore provenance than subtance maybe. Is this print worth buying based on the content, and provenance. The print is approximately 28" X 16"
    This letter is taped to the back of the print.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Huntingtreasure and aaroncab like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Taken out of a calendar" doesn't sound like much. One presumes that Mrs. Barnes was able to get this one from the airline (out of another calendar.)

3. Mugzinnys

That would have to have come from a very large calendar.
    Thank Bakersgma

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What beautiful language in that letter. Wouldnt it be lovely if people still spoke to each other this way?

Any Jewelry and Huntingtreasure like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is the print 28x16, or is that the frame?

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  6. Mugzinnys

not sure but it is at least that big I do not have acesss to it today this is an estimate

7. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bernard Barnes was a Time Magazine executive according to his obituary.

Debora

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not just the period, but also a way of communicating in that part of the world. The Moroccans and Arabs I meet often speak like that. You may have noticed the polite way our Moroccan and Arab forum members communicate.

Huntingtreasure and kyratango like this.
  10. Mugzinnys

11. Mugzinnys

Thank You for that link leading to The American Legation in Tangier, Morocco and the Moroccan Sultan being received at the Court of King Louis XIV print hanging there.

Debora Thank or the connection to the Times Executive Bernard Barnes and his Wife Carolyn Payne

The historic cultural and diplomatic relations between the United States and the Kingdom of Morocco as Morocco was the first country to recognize the United States, in December 1777. Wow Back to the link

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My guess would be that it's the painting hanging in the legation, not a print. But why not contact them and ask?

I don't see this as anybody being received at any court, and have to wonder if that title is correct.

There is a record of a Moroccan Sultan sending a gift of Arabian horses to Louis XIV.

I would guess that yours is a contemporary reproduction (whether from a calendar or not) of a fairly modern painting ('50s,'60s).

13. Mugzinnys

Thanks Everyone

Any Jewelry and Huntingtreasure like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted