Featured Mottled green glass beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

These are in the increasing ‘to do’ re-string pile. Initially I thought they might be what is called Peking Glass but I read that this is made using a bead core and the glass is built around that. These appear to be hollow if held up to the light.
    I can’t see any core bead inside and they are light in weight compared to my other glass beads. The largest bead is 17mm the smallest 10mm and the whole length is 27inches. Any ideas where made, date, what called please? Thank you.
    2BD50FA4-C211-4D71-9978-BB72807C6319.jpeg 9454A9CA-7FF1-484B-BC56-5849C5B3BAC2.jpeg EA7A1BD3-432C-4D16-AEE9-FB1BB4EB017E.jpeg 10F5E4F3-2152-4DD9-9D92-9A3701F637AF.jpeg FB8B3F96-F137-48EE-B44E-9BDD19F0AC10.jpeg

wenna, KSW, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They aren't Czech Peking glass. Or Chinese.
    They look like that other Czech glass.... can't think of the name.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

KSW, Bronwen, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Beautiful and very appealing!

KSW, Bronwen, NewEngland and 3 others like this.
  4. Houseful

AJ there’s some Czech ones called Hubbell, is that the type you were thinking of?

KSW, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. Houseful

This is from Pinterest and said to be Hubbell. I had never heard of them before today. 921B801C-4AC4-4FB3-B709-A7F8BE31A4EE.jpeg

KSW, Bronwen, NewEngland and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Hubbell is a US term, after a trading post in the southwest that sold faux turquoise beads. They didn't sell these cabs though, it is not something Native Americans would have bought way back when.

7. Any Jewelry

You're in the UK, so you wouldn't have heard of the name. And in this case it is a misnomer, imo.
    This Dutchie only knows of Hubbell beads through the NA information I have.

KSW, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I have similar glass cabs but more turquoise, see link below. Aaron found the term "turquoise matrix glass cabochon".
    Maybe yours are called turquoise matrix glass beads, since there is a bit of turquoise among the green?
    In the thread I mentioned another reference to Hubbell, but I explained that the term only applied to beads. Old age, I keep repeating myself.:hilarious:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/name-of-glass-cabochons-help-please.24436/#post-328048

KSW, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  9. Houseful

So Czech Matrix glass beads. Thank you. They seem a bit too green overall to me to be called turquoise BWDIK there are green turquoise’s but I just think of paint colours in tubes! I was thinking it’s 1920s 30s? Talk about memory I must have seen that thread you posted but had completely forgotten it. I’ve got a bracelet somewhere very similar. I will try and find it.

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

They are lovely, like tiny watermelons :smuggrin:

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  11. Houseful

They are! They look as if they would be really juicy!

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I was going to say they look like pretty grapes.

KSW, Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or fancy jelly beans! I've never seen those before either, but I'd be happily restringing them too.

KSW, Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Pretty beads :)

15. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

If they actually hollow I think that makes them a little more special!?!? But I am nowhere near a bead expert...just my 2 cents.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted