MS Cowen Mahjong set

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by laticacampbell, Jan 6, 2018.

1. laticacampbell

laticacampbell New Member

MS Cowen Mahjong set, the booklet says 1923 3rd printing. Any ideas as to the approx. Age or value?
    Box does have some scratches, but it doesn't appear anything is missing. One tile has some writing on it.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice set !
    If the booklet is original to the set.....say around 1923....!

For values, you'll need to find on line web, or auction sales of this type of item.

Are the tiles ivory ?
    That will help with your questions.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is the picture of you showing an underside of one tile the one with "writing on it?"

Boy, does this take me back!

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Watching Mom & her pals play....with the Clack.Clack, Clack of the tiles.....yup !!

judy likes this.
  5. laticacampbell

I was showing the side of the tile because the blog I read said the bone to bamboo ratio matters. This one is more bamboo than bone.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That must explain the card to protect the tiles from chips.

judy likes this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A few things to know:

1. Mahjong (and a lot of other Chinese things) were A GIGANTIC FAD in the early 20th century. From the 1900s to the 1930s, things like Mandarin yellow, China red, porcelain, tea, and games of Mahjong - were FLYING OFF THE SHELVES so fast that importers couldn't buy stock fast enough. So I can promise you - this thing ain't rare. Something like this would definitely date from that era. So early 20th century, pre-revolution China.

2. The tiles are BONE and BAMBOO. Typically polished cow-bone. Some SUPER-FANCY sets did have ivory, but they're pretty rare. That said - you CAN still buy bone-and-bamboo sets today. But they do cost quite a bit.

3. A FULL SET of Mahjong is 144 tiles. If you want to be sure - I'd start counting right now, to ensure that you have a complete set.

4. Playing mahjong (REAL mahjong, not that online gambling crap they have these days), is a LOT of fun! :p I used to do it when I was in school.

8. laticacampbell

Thanks everyone !

judy likes this.
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

You're welcome.

A typical mahjong set has 144 tiles.

Plus two dice, to indicate which player out of two, or four, goes first. So like, player one is 1-3, two is 4-6, three is 7-9, four is 10-12. Roll dice. It comes up 5? that means player 2 starts.

Plus two circular discs with wind-directions (which indicate each new round of the game).

Plus (sometimes) tally-counters, to calculate scores.

Keep in mind that not ALL sets come with these extra bits and pieces. Some of the really simple ones do not. The more fancy sets usually do, though.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted