Multiple silver ware collection

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Tiffany Lynn Shields, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Okay guys I ran across this at the house and showed my mom she said my dad got it from my grandma when he and she were still alive and healthy many years ago. I really really really dont want to sell these i want to give them to my kids just curious what the back ground is on these. This is the group picture! 20170206_101625-1195x2124.jpg Here is the first laddel type spoon.
    20170206_101655-1195x2124.jpg 20170206_101721-747x1328.jpg

~~Here is the second one!
    20170206_101756-747x1328.jpg 20170206_102106-747x1328.jpg
    ~
    20170206_102135-747x1328.jpg 20170206_102220-747x1328.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

First off - they are all silverplated, in case you didn't know.

The set is in the Silver Mist aka Marigold pattern, issued circa 1935 by Rogers & Bros (the Rogers that was part of International Silver.)

The last piece is in the Falmouth pattern by Wallace, circa 1914. In this case it was "hotelware" imprinted for the hotel named on the back.

The "ladle spoon" is in the Poppy pattern, also circa 1914. The R&B mark on the back is one of the lower grade marks of the same Rogers as the set above.

What piece is the 1881 Rogers mark on? (third picture from the bottom) That's a different Rogers firm than the others (eventually became part of Oneida.)

Figtree3, afantiques, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. The 1881 roger mark is on the spoon right after the laddle spoon

4. Bakersgma

hmmm. That's odd, because the design is Silver Mist - but that was owned by the other (totally unrelated) company, so it's not like it would have been "shared." I've looked in both of my hard copy references and do not see that design under any of the marks of the company that owned the 1881 Rogers trademark. A mystery.

Do the pieces of the set also have that mark?

cxgirl, Ladybranch and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. Bakersgma

cxgirl and tyeldom3 like this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, you mean "1881..." is on the spoon in the 4th pic down? That 4th pic is a "Silver Mist" pattern by Wm. Rodgers, Rogers & Bros. or/and International Silver. I have a few odd pieces of "Silver Mist" marked on the back with "Wm. Rogers Mfg. Co. Original Rogers." The back of my "Silver Mist" pieces look nothing like the back in picture #5.

--- Susan

Bake, you beat me again!

cxgirl, tyeldom3 and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

cxgirl, tyeldom3 and Bakersgma like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What you are calling a ladle spoon is actually a Casserole spoon.
    Polish it and put it in your drawer. You will find you use it a lot. Great for mashed potatoes.

cxgirl likes this.
  9. Whats the best way to Polish it. Im only 24 and uneducated about anything antique! It reminds me of something you scoop soup out of lol when i grew up we had a fork and one size of spoon and butter knifes and steak knifes. Bare with me im learning lol :)

10. I have to run for a parent teacher conference when i get back i will double check that spoon and if it says 1881 on the back i will take a picture of it and post it separately:)

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

There are many different silver polishes available. Personally I use Simichrome. It has a gentle abrasive, but does a good job cleaning tarnished items. You will find that once you get it cleaned up if you just wash it with a mild dishwashing soap & it will come out just fine.

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I like Liquid Wrights. You can find it in the cleaning aisle at most grocery stores. Maas is another ( a little more pricey) it comes in a tube like Simichrome. Probably found at hardware stores.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well, If you hang out here long enough, you'll learn what to keep for your kids, and what to sell off in order to only save the best of the best, or the items that will one day actually mean something to them.

IMHO...I just don't see an assortment of cutlery such as this , as being a family keep sake that your young kids will one day cherish.

Oh...& while I'm feeling opinionated.....this is not facebook or any site you have control over...so watch out what things you photograph Diana.( or is it Anna ? )

A plain background is always the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted