Murano Ball paperweight artial label & Clear Dish Bowl gold flakes and silver flecks Help ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

The dish is 2 1/2" x 6 1/4"

the ball paperweight is 2 3/4"

Searching around I am pretty sure the dish is Murano but not sure of the designer.
    The p 20190803_182633.jpg 20190803_182639.jpg 20190803_182646.jpg 20190803_182653.jpg 20190807_170017.jpg 20190807_170024.jpg 20190807_170054.jpg 20190807_170107.jpg aperweight I am not sure the surface is rough to the touch

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Really beautiful items. I think the dish is Murano too.

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The paperweight is a California style where the material is poured over the outside of the glass. That doesn’t mean it’s from California just the process name. Might help in search

antidiem likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh wow Kiko, that's interesting! I never realized what I was looking at on these! Thanks :cat:

5. KikoBlueEyes

The process of the iridescent swirl seemed to have been perfected by California glass artists. I bought a couple cheap before they became more popular and found the information out while researching the signatures. Mugs is simple but nicely done.

6. Mugzinnys

Lundberg Studios iridescent weight It is said that all of their pieces were signed. Kiko do you think there might be a signature under the label

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the paperweight is Chinese - it's packed away, but I have one very similar, though egg-shaped, purchased new in the '80s-'90s (looks like the remnants of 'Taiwan' at upper right on the label. The dish does look like Venetian/Murano - might look at Seguso...

~Cheryl

8. KikoBlueEyes

In my limited experience, the Lundberg signature is usually etched on the bottom outside rim. My Abelman iridescent swirl is etched in the center, so I don't know. I think Cheryl is far more knowledgeable, so if she thinks Taiwan . . .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Kiko, are you certain about that? It's threaded, marvered flat, dragged, similar to a pulled feather design.

10. KikoBlueEyes

IMG_3467.jpg IMG_3469.jpg
    I was going by the rough surface comment. "California-style paperweights are made by "painting" the surface of the dome with colored molten glass (torchwork), and manipulated with picks or other tools. They may also be sprayed while hot with various metallic salts to achieve an iridescent look." These are mine and they do not have a smooth glass surface

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    i need help and komokwa like this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Thanks Cheryl I thought China at first because of the rough feel. But the label being worn and aged made me think maybe Murano and then all the pieces began to point to the California Style. I think I will remove the label curious. no signature underneath it looks and feel Taiwan. Thanks everyone now searching Seguso for the murano dish. Thanks Cherryhill Wild and Wonderful

i need help likes this.
  12. Mugzinnys

Bullicante Aventurine bowl with intentional internal spiraling bubbles and intense golden metallic flecks. Hand-blown glass from mid 19th century Italy. this seem to be the method and the item is most likely an ashtray

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

Ummm, my eyes are pretty bad anymore, but I'm not seeing any controlled bubbles, nor any aventurine - on my screen it appears to be a mid 20th century piece with both gold and silver foil inclusions, and it's fairly small and deep with a rather busy lip, might be an ashtray (so many ashtrays back then), but I'd guess a candy dish...

Here's one similar, the seller only mentions silver foil, but appears to have gold foil too - they mention Seguso, but think Barovier & Toso, which is entirely possible, Seguso was just the first name that came to my mind...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/276644..._edQkR-t-uz5JJUJofdbd9xMgUR8YtLYaAlaREALw_wcB

This site shows some examples from several makers: https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia_home.htm#Murano

~Cheryl

14. DragonflyWink

Kiko, your paper weights are lovely - hoping Mugzinnys isn't offended, but they are much better quality pieces than his (I liked my similar piece enough to buy it new years ago)...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. Mugzinnys

I agree DfW they are very nice Kiko and thanks for introducing me to the California Style and Lundberg Studios.
    Thanks for the links DfW.

16. KikoBlueEyes

:):kiss: Mine are from the 1980's too, so almost new when I bought them. They were purchased from an antique mall with a smashing range of eras of things to be enjoyed - an omnium-gatherum.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Mugz. Thanks. I know so little about antiques etc. to offer on this forum, so I am always eager to share something I know at least a little about. Kiko.

i need help likes this.
  18. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents...PW probably not Murano..but bowl probably is.
    And yes..Lundberg (and similar California area artist's) weights were all signed in the glass.

19. Mugzinnys

Here are some close us of the bubbles 20190812_121204.jpg 20190812_121205.jpg

DragonflyWink likes this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

DragonflyWink likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted