Featured Murano Sommerso Mandruzzato vase --issue

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thrift purchase. When purchased it was a total mess inside, cloudy, hard water marks, about as bad as I've seen.

I got some denture cleaning tablets and used those in the vase, it actually did a great job -- all but this last part.

From there tried everything, getting more and more aggressive. Tried vinegar, rubbing alcohol, acetone, and finally lacquer thinner. All to no avail. And I tried rubbing the area with a wooden chopstick while those chemicals were in there in case it was stuck or needed loosening. I couldn't make a single improvement.

You can't feel anything when you rub a wooden chop stick over it, so doesn't feel like it is scratched, but thinking it must be. You can't really get in there with your hand because the vase is so narrow in the center.

In real life probably looks more like photo 2, but was able to really shine the light on photo 3 to make it stand out.

It's a great piece, but if used for display thinking this is problematic. Any last ditch ideas to try?

vase1.jpg vase2.jpg vase3.jpg aglass.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

We have highly mineralized water around here and I keep a bottle of Lime A-Way handy.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I hope something works, it’s Beautiful, Lucille! :)

4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

FWIW Lucille, I've had several beautiful pieces but not quite as lovely as yours that sold with pictures and description of the hard water rings.
    Patd

PS - great pictures, BTW.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

beautiful piece of glass Lucille:) truthfully yours does't look that bad, I think it would sell okay as is.
    I've used rice with vinegar - put the vinegar in the glass vase, let it sit for several hours, add some rice and swish the bottle around and the rice acts like a scrub brush, worked pretty well on a piece with a narrow neck.

pearlsnblume, antidiem, *crs* and 6 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the stains do not detract....it's lovely....
    ps..r u in paris ?

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Breathtakingly Beautiful Lucille !!! ... Joy. :)

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It looks beautiful and very clear to me.

Are you in Paris as Komokwa asks???

Inquiring minds want to know.:)

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's glass sickness, sadly. The only real cure is muriatic acid or someone who knows what they're at carefully repolishing. You could try cerium oxide paste on a Q tip, but I doubt it will work. It'll still sell fine.

10. Lucille.b

Was wondering if it was something like glass sickness--didn't know there was a word for it. DH mentioned polishing but this thing really narrows down at the waist and it would be a massive effort.

May give one more thing a try, but thinking selling as is might be the ticket. When water is in there the spot disappears, but I think someone who gets this might be thinking of it more for display than as an actual vase with water.

I think the pictures of the whole thing came out even better than real life in a way. Lighting was perfect with that snow for some reason.

Wondering if I'm from Paris with the Eiffel Tower in the background, lol? If only! That little outdoor structure came with the house when we bought it, just kept it in the garden.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yup on the pic !:)
    The only time having the light behind the object....is when you need to see thru the object !!!:happy::happy:
    The pics of the can on the other hand....as u see...is yuk !:yuck:

So....having Paris in your backyard......that's OK too !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It is a great piece of glass!

13. Chandler In Las Vegas

Chandler In Las Vegas Active Member

FWIW, I have a similar problem with hard to reach spots on silver. This is a technique I use but recommend with caution. You were half way there with the chopstick. I use a Dremel tool, that I can dial down the rpm, and an appropriately long piece of dowel. You can burnish directly or, in a wet environment, use toothpaste or some other very mild abrasive. I last use this on a pair of silver salt and pepper shakers that seem to have never been cleaned on the inside before. I found some nasty, deep corrosion under a layer of caked organic residue in both. It seemed the pepper was used in both, left and forgotten. I boiled the pieces in an aluminum pot with some baking soda added to the water. I removed the sludge and with a Dremel and a dowel wrapped in 000 steel wool. I finally added some baking soda to the interiors and buffed them up to a great interior shine. Personally, on such a lovely piece of glass, I would take it to a pro to have the hard water residue appropriately removed. Thank you for the pictures.

antidiem, Lucille.b, judy and 3 others like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very pretty Lucille. Oh la la.

15. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've had some success with Mother's Chrome Polish and lots of rubbing.

antidiem, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

These photos and Lew’s paperweight photos, remind me of my first HD television, so clear! :smuggrin:

17. antidiem

I would not hesitate to try the Dremel tool with JUST a wet wood dowel straight down to the bottom. IF THAT scrubs off a spot, then you know you don't need anything rougher to use on glass. I suspect the wet wood could be enough to scrub clear the leftover mineral stain etch. Great idea Chandler! Thanks for the info!

judy and i need help like this.
  18. antidiem

I may have missed how tall this is? Will a bamboo chopstick reach down to the bottom with your hand at the top to push against the sides to see if you can clear a bit with the slight sheer force?

hee: This is the kind of project that IF I COULD FIND THE RIGHT TOOL, I would sit on the sofa cleaning it for hours, like others would knit a sweater!! :cat:

I may not have actually admitted how much I love this glass! :cat: Did you find the maker? @Lucille.b

19. Lucille.b

Anti, that is exactly what I tried with a number of solvents, using a bamboo chopstick. If I could have even made a slight improvement I would not have given up. Gave it one last attempt with a few more things and then sold it today with a disclaimer about the bottom section. It was perfect other than that, and the buyer was happy.

Quite confident this was Mandruzzato.

20. antidiem

good work, @Lucille.b thanks! <3

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted