Murano vaseline poodle with sticker - maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Jun 10, 2019.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Did any particular company use this "Venetian Glass - Made in Italy" sticker, or was it a general export label?

Thanks! (P.S. - Sorry about the dust. He's about to get a bath.)

IMG_2923.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG

cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Chuck, there seem to be a fair number of these out there, but attributing them to any one maker seems iffy...

This one says it's Archimede Seguso:
    img0 (173).jpg
    https://picclick.com/Mid-Century-Murano-Art-Glass-Vaseline-Poodle-DOG-362374891674.html

The one here says Cenedes Antonio De Ros Design, with perhaps a bit more to back it up:
    img0 (130).jpg
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/murano-vaseline-glass-poodle-dog-134257338

The one shown at this link is said to be identical to one with a description including:
    Its paper label apparently read "GENUINE VENETIAN GLASS MADE IN ITALY".
    The figurine was attributed to Cenedes Antonio De Ros Design, with reference to a book by Leslie Pina on Italian Glass Century 20, page 211. Online research also revealed that there is a similar poodle shown in the Picture Book of Vaseline Glass by Sue C. Davis, 2nd Ed. 2001, pg. 149.

What everyone seems to agree on is a date ca.1950's...

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

SBSVC and UncleChuckTX like this.
  4. UncleChuckTX

Thank you for finding those! I have also found a few other examples, all unsigned and listed as being made by various makers. I was hoping having one with its sticker might be a bonus.

I found the Worthpoint listing being referenced in the second example. Unfortunately I don't have that particular Leslie Pina book.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/murano-vaseline-ruby-glass-poodle-dog-cenedese-w

I do have the Picture Book of Vaseline Glass, though. It's heavy on examples of vaseline glassware - bowls and vases and such. It didn't occur to me to check for poodles, since I was focued on the Murano aspect. Her example is slightly different from mine, and isn't attributed to a maker:

IMG_2925.JPG

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and cxgirl like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Well, that didn't really solve anything, did it? :confused: I'm sorry.

pearlsnblume and UncleChuckTX like this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

7. UncleChuckTX

I appreciate the help, anyway.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted