MUSEUMS OF FRANCE LIMITED EDITION ?ARTIST ENHANCED" EDGAR DEGAS PAINTING?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 18, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

My friend found this in a storage unit he won at auction. I recognize the painting - I posted a Edgar Degas copy someone painted of this scene here asking about it a while back.
    But this one is a LOT bigger (it measures 35" x 40") and it has a printed COA? on the back that says it's a MUSEUMS of FRANCE Brush Strokes Collection Artist Enhanced Limited Edition painting?
    When I googled that name I saw some pretty high prices (over $1,000)!
    What do they mean artist enhanced? Is this a print on canvas that Degas brushed a little paint on?!
    Are these as valuable as the asking prices? Curious because if I listed this the shipping cost is going to be a big one!
    My friend sold it to me for $50 = so even if I can only sell locally I should do ok; the frame has to be worth that much!
    Any info or thoughts would be appreciated

ART PAINTING MUSEUM BRUSH STROKES DIEGA VARGAS 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING MUSEUM BRUSH STROKES DIEGA VARGAS 2AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING MUSEUM BRUSH STROKES DIEGA VARGAS 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING MUSEUM BRUSH STROKES DIEGA VARGAS 4AA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Degas died in 1917 - he never even came close to this. Some "artist" (think a person with a paintbrush in hand but totally unknown) apparently put some paint on it (a few "brush strokes") to make it look like a "real painting." If you can find any that have actually sold, then you have something to potentially work with for setting a price range. Never consider the asking price in this equation.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And - that label on the back is not a COA. It's just a label. There's really nothing involved to "authenticate."

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

So they're not from any museum? I know some museums (in their gift shops) sell copies of they more famous/popular works? *and some like MOMA can have value)
    PS - I didn't really think Vargas had 'enhanced' some prints of his own works - although I did not know he had passed away so long ago.
    Thanks Bakersgma!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with Degas. Nothing to do with a museum in France. Here's information about the company. Value is decorative.

Atelier America Inc. was founded by Harvey Kalef in Markham, Ontario, Canada in the 1990s. They pioneered high quality reproductions of the old masters, and ran a traditional catalog based mail order business in North America.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

SIGH - Thanks; at least I didn't pay too much this time!

Draft saved Draft deleted