My aunt's old beaded bag. Not sure age, but she was born in 1881.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by TheOLdGuy, Jan 2, 2017.

1. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

This is just a bag, no compartments. I'm looking for help, AND especially some hints how to get decent pictures. I didn't realize that each and every bead reflects light. I'll post what I have as samples, after much editing and enhancing. I brighten one color and the others change color. Anyway, I'll keep playing with pics. These are just ideas on what I have, with lots of black, some red, more green, and a good amount of gold.

It is 6 1/2 inches, top to bottom and a bit over 5 wide.

What is the proper name? Use? Of any collectible value? A few people thought it was made in France. Possible, that side of the family was 1,000 % French. (yes, 4 0's) Migrated directly to USA late 1700s.

~

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. TheOLdGuy

WOW! Took at least a half hour to upload those three pics and failed with three others. Just would not load them. 0 loading and then -- sorry. error.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. TheOLdGuy

Now I must try again because I failed to enlarge them.

The following error occurred
    There was a problem uploading your file.

BeadedBag.JPG beadedbag3.jpg BeadedBagGold.JPG BeadedBagClose.JPG BeadedBagGold.JPG BeadedBagClose.JPG beadedbag3.jpg BeadedBagGold.JPG BeadedBagClose.JPG
    ~~

THEY ARE 600 PIXELS. AND AGAIN GOT MORE THAN I BARGAINED FOR.
    HOW COME????

wenna and lauragarnet like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

It very well could have been made in France. I call these little bags, either Miser or Dowager bags. This looks like it is Hand beaded with draw string. It could be called an Evening Hand Bag also

VintageKaren and lauragarnet like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This job needs natural light, a white sheet or other nonreflective surface in a light color, and no flash. You really need a light tent, but failing that a sheet draped over a chair might work better. If it were a smaller piece I'd recommend the old milk jug trick - slice the bottom out of a plastic milk jug, put it over the whatsit, and shoot down the neck. Flash or no flash, you tend to get decent pictures.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing late 1800s - early19teens
    Like the hobbiest painter, there were patterns available for the ladies to do beadwork.

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ditto the above ^^^^^

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Your aunt probably made this. I think it may be closer to the 1920s given the bead colour and the fabric. Lovely thing.

10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Ooooooooooh boy. Photographing that bag is gonna be a PAIN IN THE ASS.

I often photograph things which are in some way reflective. Silver, brass, glassware, etc.

For best results, use natural sunlight and NO FLASH on a matte, non-reflective background (try a rug or carpet). Photographing it on something like a hardwood floor or a marble or tile floor will drive you nuts because of the reflections.

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

TOG, regarding your LAST statement....do you know for FACT with any kind of provenance that the LOVELY bag "migrated from France to the USA in the late 1700s????? Was it a Great, Great Aunt or more??? My math for generations is the PITS!! Fascinating and GORGEOUS!!!! Could be a wonderful museum piece.....you JUST DON'T see them in that condition anywhere!!!!!

Edit: I just re-read your heading - Aunt BORN in 1881.....in USA?? So the FAMILY migrated to the USA in the 1700s?? At any rate, I'll bet a good conservator might be able to tell from the fabric, beads and stitching where made and a good estimate on age!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    lauragarnet likes this.
  12. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

OK, starting with last post and replying as best I can.

Aquitane. No FACTs to prove migration of the beaded bag. Sorry, but I guess someone lost the original receipt . Or did they give them out in the good old days? Please post any good conservator with a contact and I'll be glad to contact them/her/it/him.

Shangas. Natural sunlight is sometimes difficult to find around there lately. That's one reason the light box was purchased and set up. A flash was used as a test, and then shut off.

A white matte finish poster board for a base. We ain't got no plain rugs. And yes, a really big PITA.

Bear - Your aunt probably made this. I think it may be closer to the 1920s given the bead colour and the fabric.

I rather doubt she made the bag. Not that (as far as I know) she was too busy, but guessing she had better things to do. Yeah, 1920s would fit. But can’t rule out 1890s up to the 20s.

Brad and Clutter – same as above.

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

TheOLdGuy-- You've changed!

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. In For the old guy

evelyb30 As noted, there was a light box in use.

Jackolin. Best I know is they were basically evening bags, but as TOG said, there are no compartments in this one as one might expect in a handbag.

Figtree - only in for him for a little while.

15. clutteredcloset49

Don't know who you might be, but we'll wait for TOG to return.
    Thanks for replying.

lauragarnet likes this.
  16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a collection of beaded bags and I think 1890-1910 would fit. Some of these were beaded in France for export to the US

lauragarnet likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

18. In For the old guy

Thanks for that, Bev. Appreciated.

To all others. Tog's a bit out of circulation for maybe another week or two.
    I'm sure he'll be back ready to take off like a rocket.
    He asked me to monitor this site for him because we had discussed it often. And I owe him more than a few hundred favors.
    I might just learn something while visiting.
    My apologies if I caused any concern.

Pete.

lauragarnet, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Stop by any time, Pete. ;)

lauragarnet likes this.
  20. clutteredcloset49

Hope he's well.
    Let him know we are thinking of him.

Now that you have introduced yourself welcome to the board.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted