Featured My daguerreotype sent out for restoration. Opinions on case?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Dec 27, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I purchased this very very old dag a week ago for $3. It was in sad condition but underneath all the degradation I could see that the photograph itself still had good contrast and a good amount of life left in it. I decided to send it out for restoration because I would hate to see it destroyed by being neglecte. The octagonal mat shows that it from the 1840s, among the first photographs taken! The corrosion can be cleaned to minimize it or the mat can be replaced all together. I think I am opting for simply cleaning it because of originality purposes and it shows the life the piece had before.

The one thing I don't think can be restored is the original leather case. The outside looks relatively well with the obvious wear. The spine is detached but can be repaired. However, the irreversible part is the water damage on the inside, looks like a bit of mold growth. I am not sure what my options are here other than to replace the case, which is possible as there are quite a few empty ones. What do you guys think? I would like to keep it as original as possible, but I just think the case is trashed?
    20191223_164810_resized.jpg 20191222_155150_resized.jpg 20191223_164722_resized.jpg 20191223_164728_resized.jpg 20191223_164834_resized.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It is what it is. 'Restoration' is unwise.

judy and komokwa like this.
  3. spartcom5

Restoration in this case is to preserve the piece. Dags are printed on silver and were sealed with tape a long time ago. The seal is broken allowing in air and moisture. Also the glass is unstable and reacts poorly to moisture and it begins to degrade. The silver also can tarnish, making the image disappear entirely. If you were to leave it as is it will be destroyed. Restoration will save the piece by giving it a new glass and seal. Just like changing the crystal on a watch. In this case i believe restoration is not unwise.

Here is an example of their fine work and what I am hoping mine turns out like. Although mine is more damaged and is older
    dagrestore0.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    kyratango, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

kyratango likes this.
  6. spartcom5

When they receive the piece I'm sure they'll have some recommendations for what I can do. It looks like that modern day antiques makes nice modern reproductions for dags. They dont have an 1840s mat style though. But their cases are nice maybe for something temporary.

I see empty period correct empty cases selling on ebay for $20 to $30. I wouldn't want to buy one that has a photo in it!

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It looks like with a bit of searching, there are some decent choices to check out.... a couple of which you have already found, I think including the one link I mentioned above!! GOOD luck, and I hope we get to see the results!!!! Please???

dude, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  8. spartcom5

Thanks! I will post the results when I get it back. I have been collecting old photography lately and it's good fun. This will be the oldest piece in my collection. I have read on how to reseal and replace the glass on dags and it sounds doable but the piece I have has damage too extreme for me to deal with! All in all I think it will be worth it on the end and the piece is priceless to me as I have never found an 1840s photograph before in person.

Aquitaine, Fid, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I've restored a dag, many years ago though! As I remember it was pretty straightforward.

Aquitaine, sabre123, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I'm all for restoring original items if at all possible .. can't wait to see the restoration !!! ... Joy. :happy:

11. spartcom5

Do you guys think that is mold on the inside of the case or just simply water staining?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Probably the restorer can tell you that. Sounds like you have already chosen somebody. I've worked with the Waters family (I think finedags dot com?). The only thing they did was cleaned the glass on one of mine but I was very impressed with their work and their approach.

If at all possible, keep the Shew logo and label intact. It is of historical value.

And am looking forward to seeing the image after restoration!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  13. spartcom5

The Waters family or finedags.com is who I went with as well! Their work looks quite good.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, great! They can tell you a lot and give recommendations.

And I was thinking, you are talking about changing the case, but the Shew label is for the case so of course should stay with the original case.

15. IknowDAGS

IknowDAGS New Member

Find a good bookbinder and use them instead of who you are using for the case. Anyone like me who knows dags like the back of their hands would know who you used to restore the dag. They clean everything with thiourea which is fairly caustic, but effective for cheap dags. DON'T use them for a major dag, they are fine for cheap dags.

Joe2007 likes this.
  16. spartcom5

What makes you say they use thiourea? On their site they say they only use distilled water to clean dags? That makes me fairly concerned as this was a fairly major/early dag.....

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted