My first attempt at daguerreotype conservation!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Jan 21, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

So today I finally attempted my first dag conservation. I bought this for $10 and upon opening it to my surprise it was completely unsealed. In turn this allowed an immense amount of debris buildup and quite a bit of tarnish to accumulate on the inside. With all my tools acquired I gave it a shot. I replaced the glass and dusted the heck out of it. All the scratches are from previous cleaning attempts that obviously failed argh! Also, a lot of what looks like dust are actually spots/debris embedded in the silver plate itself. I didn't feel comfortable doing anything other than simply dusting it off. I do know you can submerge it in some distilled water but then run the risk of losing the applied gold on her pendant! All in all I am satisfied with my work although I know it could have been much better, I took the safe/minimal route. Taking pictures of these things is EXTREMELY hard. It looks much BETTER in person than in my photos.

Before:
    20200120_165622_resized.jpg 20200120_165805_resized.jpg

Plate maker's mark, one of the most common from France
    20200120_170435_resized.jpg

Plate outside of the housing,
    20200120_172349_resized.jpg

My finished job! I have a lot of room for improving, such as my tape wrapping. This one was hard because the sides of the plate were crimped/bent and this created folds/wrinkles in the tape while wrapping. In the end upon close inspection all appears to be tight and good to go for a long time! Again, the image itself appears to have spotting that looks like dust but it is debris that is embedded in the photo and would not come off with any amount of dusting, trust me I used a compressed can of air and sprayed it for a few minutes!
    20200120_175129_resized.jpg 20200120_203743_resized.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. spartcom5

Also, here is the inscription on the inside. I can't read it so any help is appreciated!
    20200120_180553_resized.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Almira Guild Potato
    Stanley sister .... or some close approximation...:wideyed::wacky::wacky:

aaroncab, Figtree3, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  4. spartcom5

So yes, I could've and maybe should've soaked the plate in distilled water for some time and then some more gunk may have come off. Anyhow I didnt feel comfortable on my first try! I am just satisfied with sealing it up to prevent tarnish.

kyratango likes this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Good job for your first!:woot::)

6. spartcom5

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the applied gold would be lost in a distilled water soak! Waiting on a professional response...

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look much better now than it did originally. Where are you getting your information on how to do this work?

I've never handled dags, so anything I have to say is just supposition. I would avoid soaking in water. How will that help to remove gunk? Soaking will certainly affect the emulsion which, it seems to me, is as likely to float off as is any gunk.

Also, why the tape?

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I saw "Potato" the first time through too. :rolleyes: But maybe it's Pilato?

9. Vee

Vee Member

I am repairing and gilding a 19th century frame at the moment and can virtually guarantee that the gold will lift off in water

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You are far braver than I am! It does look good.

kyratango likes this.
  11. spartcom5

Thanks guys, I am hoping the next one turns our better!

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think you've done good work, but I have to say the adhesive tape bothers me. If I felt obliged to cover the edges, I would use 4 strips of acid free paper, 2 of them cut too long. I would score the strips down the center and pre-fold them, put the 2 cut to size into position, place the other two using only a tiny drop of glue at the corners to secure paper to paper, and then trim the long ones to size. That will cover the edges and not involve anything sticking to the dag.

kyratango likes this.
  13. spartcom5

Yes, the tape is Filmoplast P90 permanent and archival safe for 100+ years. It is the highest standard in daguerreotype conservation. Archival institutions world wide use it as does the professionals that restored my other photo. You have to use tape because it needs an air tight seal to prevent further tarnishing of the photo. It's the safest and best option for all daguerreotypes.

Watch this video, it is very informative on dags!

Also, another hands on video of sealing them up

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thank you for that information.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted