Featured My first Jewellery auction

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Happy new year to all!
    I wanted to share with you my first ever experience taking part of a jewellery auction in the UK. After all, only after joining this forum, I started learning about vintage and had some very good advise on the books I should read.
    This is to remind you of the sweet taste of the excitement of new beginnings. My story started few years back, when in the UK could not find something different in the shops, most fashionable jewellery consisted of a stone, usually a diamond and a metal...nothing to catch my eye.
    I went to Dubai, and there I got to see some other designs, and some really beautiful jewellery pices, then I fall in love with the artistic part of it all, which later I found it in vintage and antique jewellery in the UK.
    Going back to the auction, there were several items in high demand, just managed to save three of them which I would like to share.
    Also, I promised myself that I will post every week a pice of my jewellery on this forum to discuss.
    @Any Jewelry , @Fid , @komokwa , @Bronwen
    Kind regards,
    Simona Screenshot_20210103-220403_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210103-220425_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210103-220403_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210103-220317_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210103-220335_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210103-220504_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210103-220532_Gallery.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They look lovely, Congrats!!

kyratango, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I like that top pair of earrings.

kyratango, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

So do I. They are gorgeous :happy:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thritto, coral and gold, you've made my day. Thank you for showing us, Simona.:happy:
    Best promise, better than any New Year's resolution. Happy New Year.:happy:

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

did you get the Egyptian one as well? I'd be interested to know what it went for.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    I did not get the Egyptian pendant as there was no clear information on what karat gold it was. I've enquired, but the auction house told me it has a foreign hallmark, and so decided not to gamble as it was my first auction. It was published at £100 to £150, guided price, last time I looked at it someone did bet £350, but I think the final price was much higher. Also, this auction house has a mark up of 25%, and the person whom bought it, would have paid allot more than it showed me. My guess is that the buyer paid at least £450 for it.
    Would you say that it was a fair price?
    I don't know if I am allowed to share the name of the auction house if you are intrested to find out more, please let me know.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

kyratango likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

You can absolutely share the auction house name.

I've got a pendant like that, bought in Egypt many years ago. They're at least 18 carat and often 22 carat. Depending on the weight, £100 to £150 would have been a steal.;)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For a chunk of 22k, the price paid isn't outrageous. My guess is some bidders knew their Egyptian marks better than the auction house did. Or hoped they did.

kyratango likes this.
  11. Simona Buhus

You can absolutely share the auction house name.

The name of the auction house is Fellows

12. Ownedbybear

Draft saved Draft deleted