Featured My first Norwegian? painting, but need help...

Discussion in 'Art' started by AuDragon, Jun 3, 2018.

1. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

IMG_7246.3.jpg IMG_7247.3.jpg IMG_7248.3.jpg IMG_7249.3.jpg IMG_7250.3.jpg IMG_7251.3.jpg IMG_7252.3.jpg IMG_7246.3.jpg Bought this yesterday at a local Sydney antique fair for AUD$60 or USD$45. It's 35cm x 27cm and quite naive in its style, (is that a fancy way of saying amateur?), but I really like its impressionist style. And I love some of the art from the 50's. I was told the painting was from Norway, but...??? As usual, the signature is a mystery. I see Annulu Wang Fall 1952 Geanumgans. Have searched for the artist without success, but might be looking in the wrong place. Interestingly Wang is a version of Vang, which is seen in Scandinavian countries and is a recorded variation of a family name, so I'm not worried it is a Chinese copy! LOL. The first name I might have wrong and would welcome help on that and the last name/title and anything else I can learn. Do we have any Norwegian members?

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. AuDragon

Thanks HT, Ill message him.

4. i need help

Isn’t it 2 words? Last name Gunn or Gund?

5. AuDragon

It could be, but with the language, I'm not sure. Could that also be the location? Also, thanks, I messaged FL.

i need help likes this.
  6. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like it. Most amateurs don't have the confidence to paint like that. Instead of trying to delineate each detail, he/she lets the paint tell the story. You have to have practiced control of palette, brush, and paint to do that.

Reminds me of A.Y. Jackson, though he was much, much better.

I could see that as being a Canadian scene no problem.

judy likes this.
  8. AuDragon

Thanks CH. I think you are right. That will change the search. Much appreciated.

judy likes this.
  9. AuDragon

Thanks MOS, I agree with you and there is a simple honesty in the painting I like. I looked at Jackson and you are right. His snow paintings are amazing, very professional and really articulate. Love them.Are you searching for any of his works? ;)

judy likes this.
  10. AuDragon

Hi HT,I received this reply from Fredrick just now:
    "I have no knowledge of the artist myself. But the painters name is Ørnulv Wang he was born in 1889. The motive is from Granum gård. I believe it was an old farm community. Now it is rented out as a place to have events, dinners and so on. This is a Norwegian buy/sell site: https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=118413542 the price is 1900nkr.
    This is a link to Granum gård: http://www.medvandrer.com/424150984
    And I think this is a picture of the painter: http://www.omnia.ie/index.php?navigation_function=2&navigation_item=/2022608/OMU_OB_F06527a&repid=1
    Regards"

What a fantastic response and I have already checked out all the websites. I am even more excited now. Such great information. Does Antiques do this to everyone? More hunting, more spending, more research = more enjoyment??? :joyful::joyful::joyful:

11. i need help

Wow! That’s great. It looks so pretty there in that little community! Great research by @Fredrik Lislebø !! :)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Does Antiques do this to everyone?

No...but Antiquers.com ...does !!!:happy::happy:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. AuDragon

:woot::(:shame: Just my poor typing skills. Thanks for the pick-up. Or is it antiques that start the whole process?? ;)

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is. And it is wonderful people like @Fredrik Lislebø who help. He is new, but already a true member of antiquers.

I love the painting.

judy likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also like this one. Scandinavian art is undervalued here in the US. Have gotten some very good buys as a result.

judy likes this.
  16. AuDragon

Thanks everyone for your assistance and kind comments. Much appreciated. VB, I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for more works from Scandinavia.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. AuDragon

Just wanted to thank everyone for their excellent input, especially Fredrick for the links and information.
    The painting has now been cleaned and a new slip was found to replace the damaged one.
    It's now one of my favourite paintings.
    Thanks all for the great work.

IMG_0027.jpeg

Any Jewelry, Pat P, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted