My first porcelain doll, please help identify age, name??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Simona Buhus, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello,
    This is my first time buying a doll after 30 years :) and would like to know if anyone can recognise the style, age and name of the doll.
    My younger son started feeding her already ( of course after I washed all her clothes and hair, condition her hair as well :)
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona 1C750782-C8FA-4CD4-BA75-A86B2058623E.jpeg 38345827-3A64-4D38-8270-24783349AB31.jpeg

KSW and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To me, her body looks older than the rest of her, but I am no doll expert. @judy :singing::)

kyratango likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1970s into the 1980s to my eye. But let's see what others think.

Debora

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It's difficult to pinpoint age but not antique.

She might have some info on the back of her neck. Did you happen to look there?

Are you sure her head and limbs are porcelain? If you dropped her would those parts break?

BoudiccaJones, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  5. Simona Buhus

I looked at the back of the neck and anywhere that I could, nothing is written. Her head, hands and legs are porcelain, they will break if I was to drop her.

KSW likes this.
  6. Simona Buhus

What do you think about her clothes?

KSW likes this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Her clothes are not antique, but she wears a pretty hat and dress.

The limbs and head have a resin look to me, that is why I asked.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  8. Simona Buhus

the hands and legs are not plastic. I knock them together, they have a similar sound to ceramic knocking together, hence my assumption that they are porcelain.

KSW likes this.
  9. Simona Buhus

Would you be able to say when this style clothes they in fashion?

I am not so keen in her being an antique, would like to know her name , brand name , whom made it, and how long ago?

KSW likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I really can't give you any information other than to say that she is an antique repro. She reminds me of the dolls produced around the 1980's or so when antique dolls were the big craze. Prices were quite high, so many repros were mass produced and sold at a much lower price. They mostly go unwanted today.......some exceptions of course. One can find them at yard sales, etc. and the Salvation Army usually has several. I don't think she is to represent anyone antique doll........not much detail to the mold.......Mass produced and you might come across one on the net by searching.

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

She's cute but not worth a lot in dollars.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What Judy said. My mother had over 100,and when we moved I tried to donate them and was told several times "thanks but no thanks" during the 80s every lady had a collection,including my mom. mass produced so Im sure there are 10s of millions.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You tell a very true story Johnny!

kyratango likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The clothes scream late 1970s/early 1980s. Think Princess Diana.

Debora

e789ed1920a55af0451de13116858d45.jpg

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

With the antique repros, the more lace the better. They never heard that "less was more"! LOL!

Pretty dress on Diana but not to be confused with the outfits of repro dolls. Not enough lace and frills.....much too conservative!:cat:

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Repros made in era of lots of volume, lots of embellishment. All synthetic.

Debora

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Exactly right!

kyratango and Debora like this.
  18. Simona Buhus

Hi Judy,
    I wonder if you could show me a doll that qualifies as antique, so I can compare it with my doll.
    Please educate me!
    And could you share few rules of thumb when buying dolls, if I care to venture again :)
    This was a impulse buy, my boys never had a doll, so it was fun to see their reaction. The only thing I looked when buying her, was if I could clean her well enough, so they can play with it.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

kyratango and judy like this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

If you were only looking for a play doll, then there are no worries of her being a possible valuable antique doll, and you need not worry of any damage done to her while being played.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Some images off the net of Antique bisque dolls. Your doll represents a bisque doll, rather than a porcelain one.

If there are any antique doll shows for you to visit, do so. Pictures off the net won't educate you enough to tell the difference. Most of what you see at yard sales, thrifts, are the dolls mass produced that no one wants anymore. @johnnycb09 is tesitmony to that from the experience he had with his mother's collection.

Buying any of them is fine as long as you realize what they are, and don't pay antique prices.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ant...0nDNYQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=867&bih=559&dpr=1.75

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted