Featured My first post (accumulator of nice sterling silver)

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Doc J., Jun 9, 2018.

1. Doc J.

Doc J. Gold and Silver accumulator

Hey dudes,

I just saw a post over on coin talk about this place. Ya'll have a great site.

I have a couple of pieces of old sterling to start with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My second hobby is 19th Century hand made furniture.

Doc

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Doc! You've found a great place!

3. Doc J.

Thanks.

I'd like to post a picture of every sterling silver piece that I have.

I taught myself to read the codes on the other side to place the approximate date of manufacturer as well as the maker.

I think the market price is very low to the silver price as well as very low to the artistic price (as it relates to any replacement value).

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Most of the silver I find looks like this when I come across it
    stauer 001.JPG

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Doc J, and welcome!

Well, you're certainly correct about the price of silver items, which is great for those buying, but really bad for those wanting to sell! I have quite a horde of silver myself, and I'm at a point in my life where I'd actually consider parting with some of it, but definitely NOT at today's prices!

-C-

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Doc.
    Wonderful silver, looking forward to more.
    Markets are funny, and sadly don't have anything to do with artistic value or the amount of work someone put into something. Few people appreciate how special it is to get a connection with the person behind a beautiful piece through handling, studying and feeling it.

7. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Post away, Doc - we love pics. You'll enjoy yourself here. Welcome!

8. Doc J.

I agree. I also agree with silver being at a low price today (say, compared to gold). My opinion is that both things will correct to more realistic values one day.

I didn't buy this one but inherited it from my grandmother (sorry for the poor picture):
    [​IMG]

It is what got me on the sterling silver hobby. It weighs 20.45 Oz. This one is marked:
    Tiffany&Co
    18792Markers1398
    SterlingSilver
    925/1000

This is another one:
    [​IMG]

It weighs 18.88 Oz.It is marked:
    Sterling
    10 1/2in.

Just my opinion, but the Tiffany piece is much more nice looking due to superior workmanship. The market says it's worth (melt) $312. :wideyed: And the second one is worth (melt) $288.

The Tiffany would cost maybe ~$2000++ to reproduce now and the other one around ~$1000+.

I'll show some more pictures of Tiffany pieces that I've found.

BTW, I never sell anything.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I prefer the Tiffany piece as well, and I see how that could get a collection started. But they are both beautiful.

10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Some things still do OK. These were worth $30 melt but sold for $750. Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  11. Doc J.

I agree with the $750, but it has to be more than $30 melt? It looks like sterling to me so it's 92% silver?

This first one is a coin box:
    [​IMG]

This one is a bowl from around the 1920's. It's marked strerling with British marks.
    [​IMG]

This is a baby cup from around 1900-1930. Marked sterling and probably British:
    [​IMG]

I have two large sterling martini mixers from the early 20th Century. I need to polish them up.

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lovely items, Doc, But just so you know, items of the 20's and 20's that are marked "sterling" are much more likely to be American than British. You mentioned "sterling with British marks" on the porringer (2nd picture) but I don't see any marks at all in that view. :confused:

judy, Any Jewelry and Jeff Drum like this.
  13. Doc J.

Thanks. It was my guess on the year made.

The "mark" on the underside also had a British looking mark (looks like a crown mark).

I am using a home-made light box. The best light for pictures comes to me in a very overcast day outside.

This is one made in those conditions. It's an old nickel revolver in natural light:
    [​IMG]

It's 60 years old and well persevered for history.

all_fakes and judy like this.
  14. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Looks like a model 19, carried its 4 inch cousin in my early days. Love the silver pieces Doc! :cigar::cigar::cigar:

kyratango and judy like this.
  15. Doc J.

The S&W revolvers's were both N-frame Model Pre-27.

I'd like to clean and find a good day to picture some of my other sterling pieces.

I like trading locally with Beverly Bremer and her awesome collection of silver antiques.

Fair Warning: They have some really good stuff:
    http://www.beverlybremer.com/

I figure the people in charge here should contact them to be a main supporter here: It's been the best player for the last 40 years.

You can help them with new customers (they have fair prices), and they can help with beautiful old antique pieces.

[I am in no way associated with this store.]

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted