Featured My heirloom amethyst hobnail vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tim Laughlin, Nov 30, 2020.

?

Who was the maker and what is its approximate age?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2021.
  1. Fenton?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hobbs

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tim Laughlin

Tim Laughlin New Member

Fenton vase1.jpg Fenton vase3 (2).jpg I've been reading posts on this site for a long time, and now, I think it's time to post a question that I hope someone can answer. Forty years ago, I inherited what I assume is an amethyst-glass hobnail vase. It was passed from my grandparents (married in 1903) to my mother on then to me. It is covered in a thin mottled layer of gold. When sunlight passes through it, the gold disappears and it turns amethyst purple. There is no pontil, but instead the top is ground and highly polished which I believe to be original to the piece because the gold comes over the polished top at its edges. I would appreciate any information someone might be able to give me. Thanks.

KikoBlueEyes, Zeee and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

HI Tim!

Welcome to Antiquers............:cat:

Sorry that I can't offer any help...........

Others will be along................

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Zeee and judy like this.
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Not Hobbs, Brockunier! With VERY minor exceptions their Dew Drop was pressed.

judy likes this.
  5. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

6. Cherryhill

Yeah, the tumbler is Hobbs, Brockunier's but the vase was made long after Hobbs closed in 1891. Sorry, I know Hobbs, Brockunier, find someone who knows hobnail. (originally known as Dew Drop. )

Daisy & Button was originally known as Hobnail, confusing, ain't it.!

judy likes this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

8. Cherryhill

"very unique" indeed. Good catch, Tall!

9. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

In case anyone wants to know, that one on Worthpoint sold for $20.00

komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted