Featured My kind of jigsaw puzzle..

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I used to love putting together jigsaw puzzles as a kid. The renewed interest in jigsaw puzzles as a covid project made me think about buying some, but instead I dug out this piece of pottery that I've had in pieces in a box waiting for me. I should have taken a pic before I started, but didn't. Suffice to say there were more than thirty pieces to start with; just like putting together a jigsaw puzzle the most important part is the initial sorting. I used hide glue (fully reversible in water) and scotch tape as I joined the pieces together. The red clay varies in thickness, in places quite thin, not turned on a wheel, cream glaze with brown decoration. About six inches high, seven in diameter including handle. No makers mark.

So who has a clue where this could be from? It came in a collection of southwest items, though that clearly isn't definitive. Can anyone recognize the red clay and decoration style?
    IMG_8347.JPG IMG_8348.JPG IMG_8349.JPG IMG_8350.JPG IMG_8351.JPG IMG_8352.JPG IMG_8353.JPG IMG_8354.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely jug, Jeff, and great project.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and Jeff Drum like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Jeff, that is VERY red clay so guessing a nice piece of Mexican Majolica?

pearlsnblume, Jeff Drum and Bronwen like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

True, though I didn't recognize the decoration style as being mexican, which I think of as typically being very floral and multicolored. And there are lots of sources of red clay throughout the world. Lack of any marking also made me wonder. Do you have any thoughts @Taupou @all_fakes ?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The painting is certainly different - if it wasn't an old piece one could almost see it as being one of Picasso's Vallauris pieces with that wild deer decoration!

BTW, as I looking through Google images for red bodied tin-glazed jugs, I came upon one of my own queries from 2019 ...also unidentified so far ..any ideas on this one Jeff?

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/tin-glazed-pottery-jug.42887/

Jeff Drum likes this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've got nothing for this one, sorry.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Wonder if @Taupou would have any ideas?

Jeff Drum likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would suspect Mexico, based on the clay and shape of the pitcher itself. And probably the Tzintzuntzan area of Michoacan, based on the dark line drawings on the light base, the shape of the plants drawn, and the lines through the middle of the deer. I've seen that similar treatment on a deer on a Tzintzuntzan pottery plate before.

9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just to avoid any possible confusion, I was referring to the original question and photo, not the one in the link in post #5 from blooey.

blooey, Jeff Drum and Bronwen like this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Yes, indeed, completely. So early 20th century folk art from Tzintzuntzan. I really like it, even though it is absolutely worthless in its current condition. But then does the value of a jigsaw puzzle go up when you complete it - unfortunately not - it's all about the challenge, right? Thank you!

patd8643 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted