Featured My Latest Furniture Addition- All Inlays

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AGGGILLI, Jul 11, 2018.

1. AGGGILLI

AGGGILLI New Member

So my wife and I picked this piece up at a little antique store in NC in May, and I finally got it to our new house in IL this past weekend. I fell in love with it as soon as I laid eyes on it, and was floored by all of the intricate inlays. At first I thought it was painted on, but on closer inspection I could see that every piece is inlay. I'm not usually into Asian stuff, but I found this piece very intriguing. I have no Idea if it is worth anything, but I gave $300 for it.
    The place I bought it from, the old guy said he bought out a complete house of things from a rich old woman who travels around the world picking up unique pieces. He had a very wide variety of items and apparently two other of these chests with inlays but each piece was different. One had just people, one had just animals and the last had the people with animals. The other two were already gone when I got there. He told me the other two went for $500 each, but I got him down to $300 because of some sun damage on the top and separation on the back. Anyway I wanted to share it with you all and see if anyone is familiar with this sort of thing. Sorry about the rotated photos. I'm not sure what happened to them. IMG_0269 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0270 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0269 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0270 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0272 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0273 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0277 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0278 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0280 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0282 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0283 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0269 (FILEminimizer).JPG
    IMG_0269 (FILEminimizer).JPG IMG_0270 (FILEminimizer).JPG

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe even newer than that....but worth every penny of $300...
    as long as you cherish it for many years to come !

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sure. when you don't count the gas and time spent to pick it up. but nonetheless and not sounding rude - this old guy is obviously a cheater of the first order

komokwa, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

like...the 2 other chests never existed...?

Christmasjoy, judy and Fid like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Brand new, but well worth $300 given the work in it.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is very nice, but recently made in India.

8. AGGGILLI

AGGGILLI New Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I didn't expect it to be an antique, as it has modern hinges on it. I bought it because I fell in love with all of the detail and craftsmanship someone obviously put into it. Heck it doesn't even match anything I have in my very eclectic house of furniture. LOL! Anyway I love it and I think it will make for great conversation in my guest room when we have guests over. That is why any and all information on it is appreciated, so I can enlighten them when I am asked. :happy:

i need help, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Good for you AGGGILLI .. It IS lovely .. Joy.

komokwa, i need help and judy like this.
  10. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

I think it would be a good idea to give the thread starter also some explanations why a certain decision about the age or actually about lacking any age was made ;)

judy likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Nvntivs!

Nvntivs likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Explanations? For me, far too crisp, precise and almost machine made looking. (Which some of it may well be.) The interior has that box fresh shop fresh look to it, including the velvet. Moulding isn't perhaps hand done.

That sound as though I'm dissing it, which I'm not. It's a nice useful modern probably mass made thing.

Fid, Nvntivs, judy and 1 other person like this.
  13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

And nary a dimension of any sort has been given. :rolleyes:

Below is the definition of "nary" for those who don't know or often hear that word.;)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nary"Nary," often used in the phrase "nary a" to mean "not a single," is an 18th century alteration of the adjectival phrase "ne'er a," in which "ne'er" is a contraction of "never."

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

Well, I guess I made it more complicated for me than neccessary: I asked myself what could it be if it was genuine? Nothing really Asian. The carved decor elements just do not fit any area there. It still could be an "arts and crafts"-period piece from England. However, for such a piece the Asian details are too overwhelming and the finish too thin and too perfekt. Furthermore these small intarsia running along the boards which you can find almost in exactly this way on verifiable modern pieces.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not arts&crafts. but same era, called japonerie or japonaiserie. Oskar Wild had a house full of it.

Nvntivs likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

17. Nvntivs

Nvntivs Active Member

I thought all these chinese, Indian and japanese styles of the 19th century were just part of the A+C movement…thanks for the correction.

Correction - actually I intended to write here and before not Arts+Crafts movement but Aesthetic movement :D

They both start with an "A"...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"They both start with an "A"..."
    I know a few words that start with A; in this case the end with rsch.

Draft saved Draft deleted