Featured My mother’s silver perfume bottle pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson Kees’ daughter

I appreciate any help you can give me on my mom’s pin. Mom and dad traveled extensively And lived in exotic places so I haven’t a clue! My thanks to everyone! rsz_69feadd8-9492-4736-ac95-ad5db21c1ac0.jpg rsz_fabe1a2d-db0c-49be-bd45-2249bef6950f.jpg

KSW, elarnia, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Would they have done this traveling in the 1960s or later?
    Are there any marks on the metal?

KSW likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded - are there any marks? It wouldn't surprise me if it was silver. I'd be all over it with a good loupe; if that thing is French or Portuguese they could be itty bitty and pretty well anywhere. Those two countries seem fiendlishly fond of hiding their marks. It has a trombone clasp on the pin, so it's European for certain. How old and where from..dunno.

KSW, kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

I really don’t know. Mom and Dad married in July 1946 but being with KLM airlines, they traveled a lot! It could have been any time after 1946 I suppose. No marks that I could find. My magnifying glass isn’t the best tho...

KSW, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

KLM based in the Netherlands?
    @Any Jewelry will be here later.
    Be sure to check back.

Do you have a polishing cloth? Try polishing it. Often times marks will be found while polishing.

KSW, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

I do and will try that! Thank you.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

8. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

sorry, just saw your other question. yes, KLM in the Netherlands. Albert Plesman, the founder of KLM in 1919, is my great uncle... my only claim to fame, lol. @Any Jewelry has helped me tremendously in the past with many items I inherited from my mom who was born in Paramaribo, Suriname... also other items from Java and Bali if I recall...

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous piece. I'll bet money it is silver. Do let us know if you find marks.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Jennifer.:happy: That is a beauty, a real eyecatcher, and very good quality.
    It could have been made in a number of countries. Narrowing it down, Europe is very likely, as evelyb already said. Trombone clasps were also used in North Africa and the Middle East, but this looks very European.

Sometimes you can find marks by feeling the silver with your fingers. Check the two loops on the sides and the one on the stopper for tiny indentations. Also, when you take the stopper off, run your finger around the top of the bottle. Those are the usual places.
    There could also be marks hidden in the flower, Dutch assayers especially are notorious for marking without any regard for the design.:rolleyes:

So not only Kees' daughter, but also Albert's great-niece.:) I guessed there was a familiy connection. Great genes.;)

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have serious doubt that this piece is silver, especially with what appears to be wear to brass on the pin piece - have seen a number of similar over the years, both gilt brass and silverplated, usually identified as French, and they may well be since some include tiny Limoges porcelain plaques...

~Cheryl

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The silver & jewelry guru will be much more help than I could ever be.

Draft saved Draft deleted