My new Carpet

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by gerspee, Mar 20, 2019.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

New find so anybody able to tell where made and maybe when ? Thanks IMG_0286 (Medium).JPG IMG_0287 (Medium).JPG IMG_0288 (Medium).JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of the underside and a closeup of where the fringe comes out of the main piece?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wow...that's a really strange design that I'm not familiar with.....
    can you show a close up of the back of one corner...

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

sniped by Bakers !!! :happy::happy:

Christmasjoy, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. gerspee

Make some new pictures tomorrow :beaver:

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

French Morocco

Based purely on some of the pattern looking similar to designs on French Moroccan coins.

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

8. gerspee

Size is 128x200 cm and here's some new pictures made from the back . Dog hairs are from the last owner :bag:
    IMG_0292 (Medium).JPG IMG_0291 (Medium).JPG IMG_0297 (Medium).JPG IMG_0293 (Medium).JPG IMG_0298 (Medium).JPG IMG_0296 (Medium).JPG

9. gerspee

Nobody any idea about my (prayer) rug and the used motifs ?

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I do not think this is a prayer rug. They usually have the design different at one end so it will be pointed towards Mecca. I think it is a nice rug and would find house room for it.
    greg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Bakersgma and judy like this.
  11. gerspee

don't agree with you about not being maybe a prayer rug . If you look at the border there is one side open and in the top off the design you see the shapes Rombus on one side . So three sides closed and one side open . En there some more difference to bee seen of you look at the two sides off the design prayer rug  (1).JPG

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have several rugs with different ends like yours but they are 10ft by 15ft much too large for a prayer rug. All of the prayer rugs I have seen all have a pointed area so they could be pointed towards mecca.
    greg

13. gerspee

Got some off them myself but in some country's the do make them i bit different so It al depends where my one is made . So the motifs are maybe a good point to determine the origins . Here's a few I also have somewhere in the house :beaver: [004198].jpg [004201].jpg DSC01493.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted