Featured My old glass rolling pin.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I've had this about 20 years now, and I use it whenever necessary. I bought it at a Flea Market for $5. I saw an article about valuable old kitchen items and I got to wondering about this. I have a book about depression era kitchen glassware, but this is not in it. The ones in the book are much more "manufactured" then this appears to be.

It is 15" long, weighs 2 lbs 9 oz and is a greenish Blue ( almost teal ) color. The handle ends are rough almost like an unfinished pontil. Anybody have any ideas about age, maker, value? DSCN2778.JPG DSCN2780.JPG DSCN2779.JPG ...Thanks in advance! DSCN2774.JPG

pearlsnblume, SeaGoat, Rayo56 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bdigger

After doing some google searching.....I found 2 that are somewhat like mine.....both date them to the 1850-1890 period and call them RARE. Seems most the depression era ones have an open end to put ice water etc in. mine is completely sealed.

3. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

It appears to be the same color as the old "blue" mason jars.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Love it! :)
    ~
    Not that yours isn't but at 2:53:17 today I'm going to list the word RARE on eBay for an opening bid of $17,035.20.
    :wideyed::eek::wacky::rolleyes:

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

You are so bad you are . . . wonderful!!!!! ;) :D

Aquitaine, antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

Wow!
    Well thank you so much!
    I am humbled. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I love the color and I love the pin. Somewhere in the back of my head I'm getting a repressed memory (or not) of some modern glass pins from awhile back with an early look.

Of course I'm not really up on kitchenalia so I could be completely off base. (which is probably the most likely)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bdigger

SIS.....I remember when all the repros of the depression era glass pins were all the rage. Most had a screw on top on one end. I would think if this type was reproed I would find a lot more examples of it while searching. Interesting enough is I found a bunch of Japanese Rolling Pin fishing floats that resemble my rolling pin, but they are only about 6" long and more bulbous. Here is an example I found closest to mine.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597512

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

That reminds me....
    I have a heavy wire milk delivery crate full of 3 or 4" floats.....

10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I was getting $15 a piece ($25 for the double size) for these last year - young'uns was buying 'em as "wall units" for the kitchen

Too bad I have so few left.

11. KingofThings

Not too bad but I wasn't even thinking of the crate!

Draft saved Draft deleted