My Pretty Little blue Pottery bowl looks very old Help ID it's Origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

2" X 4 3/4"

Blue on white glaze 01-IMG_8893.JPG 02-IMG_8894.JPG 03-IMG_8895.JPG 04-IMG_8896.JPG 05-IMG_8897.JPG 06-IMG_8898.JPG 09-IMG_8901.JPG 11-IMG_8903.JPG 12-IMG_8904.JPG 13-IMG_8905.JPG 01-IMG_8893.JPG 02-IMG_8894.JPG 03-IMG_8895.JPG 04-IMG_8896.JPG 05-IMG_8897.JPG 06-IMG_8898.JPG 09-IMG_8901.JPG 11-IMG_8903.JPG 12-IMG_8904.JPG 13-IMG_8905.JPG

2. Mugzinnys

Is the origin of this piece Chinese or European I am hoping Chinese?

3. Mugzinnys

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

For what it's worth I'm getting a European vibe - maybe some type of folk pottery. I doubt very much that it is American and it doesn't look like a Chinese design to me. JMHO. It's a neat bowl!
    Don

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not Chinese and not Dutch.
    I do think European, but further south. Could be France, Spain, Portugal, they all have a lot of different regional styles. Spain and Portugal especially love blue painting on a white ground.

6. Mugzinnys

Thanks dgbjwc and Any Jewelry

lots of glaze pops if that terminology is acceptable in describing the grainy spots? I find these imperfectnesses is what I like most about it, because everything is not pure and perfect, the rawness of its beauty.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. Any Jewelry

I just call them imperfections. They are one of the charming features of folk pottery. Folk pottery is often made in small workshops, that don't have the ability to control every part of the process.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

For those kinds of marks I use the word "pitting". I agree with Any Jewelry that this type of pitting is common in folk pottery.
    Don

9. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I usually say glaze dimples!

10. Any Jewelry

Of course, pitting. I used it in another thread about five minutes before answering this one.:banghead: I guess all my pitting was exhausted, on to another term.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Spain Talavera
    that a possibility

Thanks Everyone
    some similar pottery from that area

12. Any Jewelry

It could be, although Spanish Talavera is usually signed Talavera, in blue.
    But I agree, Spain is the strongest contender.

Draft saved Draft deleted