Featured MY THRIFT STORE FIND TODAY - CARVED ROUND FIGURAL AFRICAN STOOL? TABLE?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 11, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I was 2nd in line at a local thrift store this morning & saw this as soon as I entered (and scooped it up!). It measures 18" tall x 17" wide.
    I'm assuming this is African? From what part?
    Is it a stool? Or a table?
    It has a fresh crack that I think happened while being processed at thrift store; it doesn't appear old at all. If I squeeze the 2 sides it goes back together almost perfectly - should I use wood glue to repair it or leave it as is?
    Any idea of it's age? It's full of cobwebs inside it but that's probably from sitting in storage or a garage - not from age,?
    It's a cool looking piece of work, right?!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 1AAZZ.jpg ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 2AAZZ.jpg ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 4AAzz.jpg ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 4CAAZZ.jpg ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 6AAZZ.jpg ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 7AAZZ.jpg ART CARVING AFRICAN STOOL TABLE 8AAZ.jpg

johnnycb09, kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Glue it! Fairly recent import imo

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it was old that crack wouldn't be new !
    african stool , most likely..
    tribe...uncertain.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's export/tourist art, possibly courtesy of Home Goods/Marshalls or the like.

blooey likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Home Goods/marshalls?? Are you kidding?
    komokwa if someone at the thrift store broke it from the way they throw stuff from the trucks to bins to take inside & sort through, why couldn't the piece itself be old/older?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for 1...the carved figures are comical....
    & yes..the could have broke it, but to my eye the way the crack rises ....makes it look like the split was already to come out in a newer piece of wood,.

reader likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is a stool, from Cameroon, probably by the Bamileke or Bamun. It is not unusual to get cracks in something carved from a whole log, particularly with changes in humidity during import and less than careful handling.

8. journeymagazine

9. Rosie Davis

Rosie Davis Active Member

Very neat, i eould have snatched it up too!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted