Featured My Victorian to Edwardian Antique Smelling Salts Bottles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

This is my small collection of smelling salts bottles I’ve collected. Technically I haven’t meant to amass these, just through coincidence, but now I have them I’m so glad I did. And I’m definately in for carrying it on ;)

The first one I bought was in a group of bottles I bought on eBay, I was obsessed with how amazing I thought it was, researching on and off to find out about it. Little found haha.
    Then through buying bottles occasionally I found random bottles here and there. The two with semi-intact labels I bought thinking they were plain in a box of bottles, major surprise when they were in this condition.

In order in the top photo they are :
    1) Unkmarked, unnamed, stopper matches my brass sleeved bottle, clover leaf style possibly a common maker but almost certain this was an optional motif and easy to manufacture for companies.
    2) The smaller version of the smelling salts bottles made by Crown Perfumery co. London with iconic crown stopper, intact collar label (tears and missing left edge, torn) and frontal label (“Invigorating Lavender Salts”) and also a diamond-shaped guarantee label. I will attach a picture of what the original bottle would have looked like in immaculate condition.
    3) “Mackenzie Catarrh Cure Smelling Bottle”is written on the base. Mackenzie were a very popular brand of salts after Crown Perfumery. This bottle has the more iconically tradition globular stopper characteristic of basic smelling salts bottles.
    4) The larger Crown Perfumery bottle with iconic crown stopper. There are number markings on the base probably related to the bottle production that I have yet to research.
    5) The bottle is identical to that above but is coupled with a smelling salts solid silver bottle sleeve (1908, Chester, Henry Matthews). The sleeve is marvellously minimalist compared to other sleeves with bow ribbon motifs all around. The bottle was matched with the sleeve by me, not an original coupling. I’m fairly pedantic about originality so I needed to mention it haha.
    6)Differs from the above two bottles only in that there are no extensive markings on the base it is plain, the guarantee label you can see in the picture is identical to the label in the smaller bottle (2). There is a small scrap of the collar label on, pray that I never knock it off by accident one day.
    7) unmarked globular salts bottle, distinctly darker glass than other bottles I have seen. Solid silver rococo bottle sleeve (1903, Birmingham). As with most silver the rococo pattern is intertwined with flowers and a small blank cartouche is also present. The silver case is damaged with section that have broken off towards the top of the case.
    8)I don’t know the maker of this bottle. I have seen it called a crown perfumery bottle by someone but I think that was an optimistic sales technique, not accurate. The bottle is unremarkable and smaller than standard salts bottles of this shape, the stopper is in the form of a plume of regal feathers. I have an extra stopper in this motif also pictured.
    9) In a picture at the bottom of this thread. Also has the clover leaf stopper, the bottle has the same dimensions as the larger crown perfumery bottles. The brass sleeve has a registered design number dating it to 1903 (courtesy of @Bakersgma) First bottle I bought and quite possibly my favourite.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Also hope this thread helps bulk up google image searches for anyone looking for smelling salts bottles as I have been. Thanks :pompous::bookworm:

C16AF1CD-0654-47CC-ADE3-64E2AF122861.jpeg 61135A82-EFF4-49AB-A9E9-FDE6E6A19588.jpeg 6852AF95-30AC-401B-A1ED-3D95FEE23775.jpeg FE8D3332-5776-4077-AB1F-62C9E036E807.jpeg 701865F5-8914-425C-92D2-CFD2345FEC77.jpeg
    1C5AA0E3-7AD6-42D4-A872-6A044919295B.jpeg 9AA2F98C-5F7B-441C-B2C7-C6B9F22B3585.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice !!!
    I've noticed the Crown bottle on eBay at 6, 30, & 130 dollars......so you can still add to the collection.....at your whim.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Nathan Lindop

I probably bought them haha. Prices vary weirdly on eBay, even on identical bottles. Next aim is to learn about what is ipunique and different then go hunting from there :happy:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Jana Pace

Jana Pace Member

know this is an old thread, but came across it while researching Ricksecker bottles. I have a green bottle similar to number 8 in your photo and it has the same feather plume stopper. It is marked Ricksecker on the bottom. ricksecker bottle.jpeg ricksecker bottle5.jpeg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good info...added to an old thread.......ALWAYS WELCOMED !!!!!!!!! :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::happy:

enjoy your little treasure !!!!!:)

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  6. Danieisnature28

Danieisnature28 New Member

Oh cool!! I'm jealous lol

7. Nathan Lindop

@Jana Pace , I absolutely love that bottle. It is going to be a smelling salts bottle, a lot of perfume companies made there one version. I hate to be that guy but are you planning on keeping this bottle or selling it in the future haha?

I think its an improvement on the style in mine which is more common, yours is beautiful

I should post an update of my collection too, It's grown quite a bit since this

Draft saved Draft deleted