Mysterious Knife, Need Help [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by PhalanX, May 26, 2017.

1. PhalanX

PhalanX New Member

Hello again,

I searched and searched but I didn't find any useful info on this knife. All i can tell you is that it has an inscription "1821"; this might be the year? Also I am not sure it is silver. It also has a figure that seems historic and a seahorse.

What do you think? Origins? Historic Period? My guess is silver, platinum, I don't really know. So I do not know its worth.

Any insight is helpful :angelic:

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. PhalanX

PhalanX New Member

It may be a recreation. And the 1821 mark can be linked with the revolution that took place in that year.

I am not an expert so let me know what you think about its genuinity.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Mid east tourist item. There was similar posted not too long ago. The silver metal is white brass.

Joshua Brown, judy and PhalanX like this.
  4. PhalanX

PhalanX New Member

Something like that. I found a similar one that said its origin is from Greece. I made up my mind; it is a Greek souvenir dagger made from white brass.

Thanks and have a nice day!

5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct, a Greek souvenir, 1821 for the beginning of the Revolution and the bust is Alexander the Great.

komokwa and PhalanX like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To me your knife is very mysterious indeed, I don't see a picture. Am I the only one?

Aquitaine, PhalanX and aaroncab like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They were there when the thread was first posted. OP must have deleted them.

PhalanX likes this.
  8. PhalanX

PhalanX New Member

This is the first forum I joined in years. Am still new. My bad. I will post them again :angelic:

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That would be best. Not only may others have useful input for you, but the thread becomes a resource for others' research. :)

10. PhalanX

PhalanX New Member

These are the photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks. Nice photographs, as they should be made, complete view and good details.
    You may not want anymore input (resolved?), but I always say the more the merrier, and you never know what it could lead to.
    So here is mine, for what it's worth:

Base metal Greek souvenir with two links to Greek history.
    1821 is a reference to the War of Independence against the Turks, which started with the Revolution of 1821. It is not the year of manufacture, they still make these in Greece with different historical elements.
    It is difficult to see if the 'coin' is of Alexander the Great, on coins he is usually depicted wearing the lion's head on his head, Macedonian kings wore a lion skin as a sign of royalty. Alexander coin:
    [​IMG]
    Your 'coin' doesn't have enough detail to see if it is hair or a lion's mane.
    Alexander's father, Philip of Macedonia, is often depicted without the lion skin. He is the one who united (conquered) Greece in antiquity, so he could be a more likely candidate for a symbol in the War of Independence.
    The dagger is of a Turkish/Greek type.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    PhalanX likes this.
  12. PhalanX

PhalanX New Member

Indeed, you are right! I think, too, that it is not Alexander on that coin. It is not a genuine 1821 knife; that would be amazing, I wouldn't even sell it. Thank you for your insight on this matter!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

PhalanX welcome to the forums!

PhalanX likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted