Mystery artist...

Discussion in 'Art' started by Steve Harris, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Steve Harris

Steve Harris New Member

Here is an original 1944 watercolor of New York harbor I have had for a while. It's about 20" x 26" and signed with a mark I can't identify. Any ideas who it might be?

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looks like a lithograph when zooming up close in your last picture

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does. You might want to do a Google Image search to see if its a multiple.

Debora

4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

If you have nice magnifying glass or jewelers loop take a really close look and make sure it is painted. I will see if I can track down any similar works.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is there anything on the back of the frame?

Debora

6. Steve Harris

Steve Harris New Member

Hi Debora, This is definitely a watercolor. I deal in a lot of art and first thing I checked was the back of the frame and artwork itself. It has the look of illustration art, but I just cannot find the signature/initials anywhere. It is executed on illustration board. Thanks for your input! Steve

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looked like a watercolour to me

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Delighted that it's a watercolor. And it does look illustrative. Frame appears to be period. View of Lower Manhattan from Brooklyn piers. Skyline looks exaggerated but not really. Initials to my eye read MB but almost impossible to identify, I'd think.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

9. Steve Harris

Steve Harris New Member

Yes, it's a cool painting with warships in the Harbor. My hope has been that someone would recognize that cypher. I've scratched my head so much I'm bald!

Debora likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a vintage 1950s postcard with almost the same perspective.

Debora

2cefa08b99a82ccf9cd1ae3ed03dbedb-800.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Still really not convinced this is a original watercolor. Looks to smooth. I zoomed up in your last picture you posted and took a pic. To me it looks pretty flat. Anyway you could post more pics close up?

20200124_121518.jpg

13. Steve Harris

Steve Harris New Member

Here are a few more pics. I took the painting out of its frame and it is clearly a watercolor. It looks like something that would show up in an old Saturday Evening Post. Thanks for your help! Steve

Attached Files:

14. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I think most watercolors...are flat...?

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. David Madacsi

David Madacsi Active Member

HI Steve, could you possibly post a higher res image of the whole image please? These are pretty small, low res. Would love to see it better.

16. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Those pictures are better. Now it looks like an original. The first two you posted didnt look right at first . I guess it was a little darker than the second pics.

17. Steve Harris

Steve Harris New Member

I'm sorry, but these are as good as I've been able to make. The normal files are too large to put on this website. That being said, I already know the painting is a real watercolor, know the location, and the date produced (1944). My only question is whose cipher/signature is it? It's definitely a professional, but I can't find anyone who has seen this cipher before.

Draft saved Draft deleted