Mystery Bird

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bingamum, May 5, 2021.

1. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

Hi everyone. Any clues as to what sort of object this might be? I purchased it years ago as part of an inexpensive box lot of “vintage” items in a jumble stall at an “antiques” sale. It is some sort of metal, but I have no idea of type though it has been suggested that it might be cast iron, bronze etc. There is some slight green oxidation behind one of the wings. It is a hard metal and does not “give” at all if I try to bend the wings or tail. It looks to be a finial of sorts that has been removed from its original place such as the end of a staff. There is a noticeable mark along the base where it was prised from the original piece and then soldered back together. The base of the statue has been filled with some sort of black substance (not cement or plaster) so I assume someone had been using it on its own as a decorative statue. It weighs approx. 6 oz. and is 5 inches high. It has been living in a box of miscellaneous bits and pieces, which I only recently re-opened so thought I’d put it out there for any ideas.

IMG_0731.jpg IMG_0732.jpg IMG_0733.jpg IMG_0734.jpg IMG_0735.jpg IMG_0736.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Lost wax peacock?

3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Likely from India. Fun.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Dhokra ware, from northeast India. The metal is cast brass, lost wax technique as inh said.
    The base is probably weighted with the black substance (natural resin?), otherwise the entire piece would be top heavy.

Asian cast brass is often called bronze, but it is a different alloy.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  5. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

So many thanks to everyone. I'm now having a great time getting lost in Dhokra ware as I further research this piece to get an idea of age. I was looking in all the wrong places before, possibly as some of the other pieces in the "lot box" I purchased were from Mexico. I think I will keep it out on display now that I found it again and know what is is!

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s the iron chicken!!
    F65DBE52-5855-4AF6-9942-65D68C9F8D00.jpeg
    Love the Clangers and the Soup Dragon!

Bingamum, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

speaking of iron chickens!!! This 'monument' is a couple miles from me. Known as The BIG Chicken 240px-Thebigchicken.jpg

KSW, Bingamum and i need help like this.