Featured Mystery Box Bought in 1913

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Grateful, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

Something that isn't an art project....

I found this going through more family stuff. The handwriting is definitely my grandmother's (died in 1990 at 98.) I have no clue if she bought it or a relative. I know there is a pattern Charter Oak from 1847. Anyway, my main interest is "does the silver case have a name?" It measures about 10-1/2 x 9 x 4. Including the other things I found inside for no reason. I assume the pearls are fashion since she was quite poor until later in life. Sorry for the background - was in a hurry. Thanks in advance.

co2.JPG co1.JPG co3.JPG co5.JPG co7.JPG co8.JPG co9.JPG co11.JPG co12.JPG

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Looks like this may be it, but link to ebay is bustipated. Searched Pyrography+meridian flatware box 1900

[​IMG]

3. scoutshouse

4. Grateful

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The flatware that was kept in it was the Charter Oak pattern made by International Silver but marked with their 1847 Rogers tradename. The flatware was silver plated and the pattern was first issued in 1906. It used to be one of the popular and collectible patterns, although with the decline in the younger generation's interest in silver that may no longer be the case.

6. scoutshouse

Now I know it's "FLEMISH" :)

(the box)

7. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

The pearls appear to be hand knotted (in between each pearl). To make sure they are imitation pearls, rub a pearl against your teeth. If it is gritty, it is a real pearl, cultured or saltwater. If it is smooth, it is costume.

judy, scoutshouse and Grateful like this.
  8. Grateful

Thanks for the heads up and tip. I couldn't really tell smooth vs gritty, so I went to my jewelry and compared everything I own from obviously costume (Anne Klein/WHBM) to unmarked pieces. I can really tell a difference in those, so I may have a few strands of real I didn't know about. This necklace in question seems somewhere in-between in the grit factor. So I went looking closer at the clasp. I can't find any marking, but there is a small faceted stone in the center and the metal is hard as a rock. Thoughts?? (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/mystery-box-bought-in-1913.39626/)

scoutshouse, judy and Jaena like this.
  9. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

Did you run the pearls across the front of your teeth? Real pearls will definitely feel gritty or sandy and not smooth like glass or plastic. But here are two more things you can do: In a strand of real pearls, the pearls will have differences from each other in shape, slight irregularities; whereas in a strand of imitation pearls, they are almost always exactly the same size and shape. Also, if you look at the pearls under a loupe or good magnifying glass, the surface of the real pearl will appear somewhat scaly, whereas a fake pearl will look just grainy. These two tests would be good to start with. There are also good videos on YouTube for further testing (and one includes holding a pearl in the flame of a candle - but I would hold off on that for right now.) Hope this helps!

10. BU66

BU66 Active Member

WOW that's amazing and very interesting. Love the story about the charter oak tree.

Jaena, Grateful and scoutshouse like this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, cool story about the tree.

The flowers look like arts and crafts sunflowers, maybe a few years late but just about right for the time period.

Jaena, kyratango and i need help like this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I would argue for poinsettia.

Jaena likes this.
  13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"I would argue for poinsettia."

On second look I'd say you're right. With holly as well. Very seasonal!

Jaena likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted