Featured Mystery Cobalt Cocktail Shaker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mingjoslyn, Aug 7, 2019.

1. mingjoslyn

mingjoslyn New Member

I have been driving myself nuts trying to identify this silver overlay cocktail shaker. It's unmarked, of course, and no pontil. I have checked:
    -Volume 1 of "Fifty Years of Collectible Glass"
    -"Glass Barware: Deco and Beyond" by Walter Lemiski (there's a similar shouldered shaker by MacBeth-Evans on page 23, but without the silver pattern)
    -"The Encyclopedia of Cobalt Glass" by Tom Felt (page 200 shows two similarly shaped shakers by Louis Glass and/or West Virginia Glass Specialty, but the overlay is marked).

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Cobalt cocktail shaker.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pretty...pretty...!!! :):):)

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'd guess one of the WVa companies, but no bets. It took me a loooong time to realize that I can't know it all, probably no one can. some pieces just defy identification, not that this is one, however. I'd look toward Louie Glass, or rather one of the many companies Louie Wohinc ran in Weston, WVa.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

6. mingjoslyn

mingjoslyn New Member

SBSVC likes this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've looked through Stephen Visakay's Vintage Barware. He doesn't show your exact shaker, but there are a few cobalt shakers with the same chrome top and similar horizontal and vertical silver lines. He doesn't list a maker, just 1930s vintage. There is also a clear one with similar silver decoration. He says the sterling silver was applied and sold by National Silver Deposit Ware Co, NY, NY. He doesn't say who made the glass, but I'm with Cherryhill - a West Virginia maker is a good place to start.

Draft saved Draft deleted