Mystery glass maker and pattern

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Phelps L. Fullerton, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Phelps L. Fullerton

Phelps L. Fullerton New Member

I'm hoping someone can ID the mystery maker or at least name of this pattern of glass that was in a box of Boston & Sandwich glass items but may be MCM for all we know. Diminutive topaz/amber colored berry bowl (?) measures 5" across by 2-3/4" tall. Appears to have ground and polished pontil.

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like something u found at the bottom of the bay !!!!

nice !!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id think 60's -70's. There's a term for that crackled finish but it escapes me at the moment.

4. Phelps L. Fullerton

...and I have found some pretty strange things at the bottom of the bay!

komokwa likes this.
  5. Phelps L. Fullerton

I'm pretty sure the pontil has been ground and polished judging by where it runs up against the texture at the bottom - MCM art pottery? - many thanks for following up!

6. Phelps L. Fullerton

Sorry - I meant "MCM art glass" there...

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

looks like a fungus.....not crackled..???

8. komokwa

no worries !!:playful:

9. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it is more of a finger bowl than a berry bowl - which is before MCM - it looks english to me - like Stevens & Williams or something... just my 2 cents...

TallCakes likes this.
  10. Phelps L. Fullerton

Many thanks for the follow-up, it's very much appreciated! The ground pontil led me to believe it might be English or Continental also. There was also a piece of Scottish Monart bubble glass in the box with a ground pontil as well.

komokwa likes this.
  11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Lots of makers made similar "crackle" finish to this - so hard to tell without recognizing a known pattern. Is there any iridescence to it? Loetz made crackle glass but it would definitely have some iridescence to it if Loetz. This ebay seller is claiming this bowl (similar shape) is Loetz - but no idea if they're just deciding that on their own (AKA making sh!t up)... https://www.ebay.com/itm/334816497127

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. Phelps L. Fullerton

LOL aaroncab! I've certainly seen loads of creative attributions to Ebay items especially when they aren't signed/marked. This one doesn't have any iridescence, just an unremarkable amber-topaz color. Many thanks for following up, it's very much appreciated!

aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  13. Verrefou

Verrefou Active Member

I would look into English also. That would be my first thought. Another alternative to check is Phoenix Art Glass

14. Phelps L. Fullerton

Many thanks Verrefou - I'll research Phoenix Art Glass and let you know if I find a match - cheers!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted