Featured Mystery Hexagonal Case (1870s-1910-ish?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, May 26, 2018.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Mystery item! I hope someone can help me.

I bought this for next to nothing, from a lady who was getting rid of a whole heap of junk. It was about the only thing on her stall at the flea-market that I considered had any sort of value. Problem is, I have no idea what it is.

What would one call this sort of case, and what purpose did it fulfill? I just can't figure it out. Everything is original (I added the thimble separately, it didn't come with one. The thimble is sterling silver), and the implements are all made of bone.

case01.jpg case02.jpg case03.jpg case04.jpg

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Some are are for working with ribbon.
    Maybe AWL, not sure.

Poisonivy likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

4. Shangas

Thanks. I've had people suggest etui, and necessaire. Wasn't sure which term was more applicable.

Poisonivy likes this.
  5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I guess etui and necessaire are frequently used interchangeably, but I think of an etui as being a more refined case, more compact, and generally opening from the end. (That's how i think of them... it's not a definition, and no doubt I would eventually contradict myself.) I don't think all necessaires are etuis, and not all etuis are necessaires.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I believe that hook is for lacing up high button shoes.....pulling the laces tighter...... the two bigger steel needles look more like they're for upholstery repair.....as well as the seriously curved steel needle I JUST saw!!!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The curved needles are definitely upholstery needles. I'm not entire sure of the rest.

Poisonivy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Poisonivy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  10. komokwa

This Lady's Personal Travel Sewing Set is in wonderful condition. It contains: Scissors, Thimble (Size 8), Nail Tool, Crochet Hook, Button Hook, Awl, Lace Knitting Needles, Perfume Bottle Opener, and a Tatting Tool. The handles of the various tools are smooth bone. The case is lined in silk and velvet and is in excellent condition. The outside leather of the case is in excellent condition. It appears that this grouping of tools was assembled for specific personal needs, rather than as a matching set..........

upload_2018-5-27_3-43-4.jpeg

11. komokwa

no laces.....on them old boots...

Poisonivy, Huntingtreasure and bluumz like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@Poisonivy , here is something for you.:)

I'd call it a necessaire as well.

Poisonivy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  13. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

It's a sewing kit/set...
    I've had them in the past with various items in them, hardly any survive with the original items, over the years they get worn or lost and replaced.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Love that this one includes a cork screw. Probably the most necessary item of all if you were a woman in that era.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AH well, so my MEMORY says I was PARTIALLY correct.....I got the High Button Shoes part right:D:D:D:D.....just no laces.....DUUUUHHH!!!

komokwa likes this.
  16. komokwa

just goes to show....you're not 'that' old !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you're still selling, old Victorian era sewing stuff still sells handily.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  18. Shangas

Yes, it is my intention to sell it :)

Draft saved Draft deleted