Mystery Jug - Any Ideas ???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Mar 31, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've recently come across a very unusual antique jug and would be VERY interested in finding out what it's intended use was, and, if possible, it's age and origin.

It measures c.18cm in height, with a c.9cm diameter, according to the seller.
    The jug has repetitive- very unusual - decoration, which appear at first glance to be simple abstract patterns (sponge applied ?) - although they may be perhaps be repetitive pictures of something (a horse, perhaps?). There is also a large 'No.3' painted on the side, which lends me to think that the jug is probably from England, or less likely, from North America.
    My own guess would be that the jug was used either in the military or medical field.

Are there any experts out there willing to share their thoughts and opinions ?????

Thanks !

624_-396236585.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

For the life of me, my best guess, even WITH enlargement, is it might be Scottie dogs!! As to the age, I cannot help....sorry.....

624_-651041088-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg
    624_1886904590-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

What leads you to believe military or medical?

I would guess more along the lines of restaurant ware - perhaps from a size graduated set of things like a batter pitchers.

How much fluid does it hold?

15Stiftgasse and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sponge ware.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted