Mystery Metal Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ryan M, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Ryan M

Ryan M Member

Hello!

I posted 5 media photos.

We got this at an antiques shop in Ohio about a decade ago.

It wasn't terribly expensive and I remember the guy saying that he thought it would have had a cork top and was built in the 50s

It's steel and quite heavy. There must have been quite the manufacturing process to build these, so I doubt it's rare, but for years I can't find any information on it.

The mechanical slides are unique, which is what drew me to it. If I were to guess, I would have pegged it as a prep table for some small manufacturer or a bar-room table (in other words, I have no idea).

Anyone know anything about the history of theses?

36w x 42l (with leaves out) by 30h

2. Ryan M

Ryan M Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There are better furniture people than I around, and THEY WILL be along!!! But with that clam rake in the background, you have to be somewhere near the shore!! @verybrad, @Jeff Drum, @springfld.arsenal .....just throwing some alerts out to draw attention......

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ryan M

Ryan M Member

Haha. Quite observant...and generator in the garage from Dorian.

Charleston, SC

5. Aquitaine

Well, hopefully there's not toooo much left of hurricane season left......

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. Aquitaine

Thanks AJ.....my memory is NOT like yours!!!! BUT I WILL TRY to remember that tidbit!!!!!:hungover: And fixed it.........!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There was so much metal left over from the war manufacturing so many things were made. My garden gliders and chairs were all made with left over steel. Later the resin and plastic stuff became the norm. I have a three seater two two seaters. Four springers a larger table and two smaller tables. The dang things weigh a ton but they are 70 years old and will outlive me.
    greg

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Now thats interesting ! Its a 1940s interpretation of a drop leaf table,but Ive never seen anything like this in steel!

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Is the whole thing metal? If so, this is a new one for me. Would have to think institutional furniture.

11. Ryan M

Ryan M Member

Right. But the leafs don't drop, they tuck under with a surprisingly somewhat complex track, spring and latch mechanism/process.

The photo with the leafs angled a bit is as far down as they go. For a while I thought it was some sort of card table, but I don't think the leafs are meant to be dropped for use. That's just how they sit when between tucking the leafs and having them locked in the up position. Very odd.

12. Ryan M

Ryan M Member

Yes, legs/base and feet are all metal -- painted to look like wood (paint looks original, but not sure). Has built in metal leveling feet.

Have never been able to find a mark or stamp anywhere on it.

13. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

That porcelain tile top would add considerably to the weight.

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is that tile or sheet linoleum? The pattern of "grout" reminds me of several kitchen floors.

15. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Ya, those radius corners would be a beeotch to cut in porcelain!

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The best bit of metal reuse I know of are railings around some London buildings. They're stretchers.

17. Ryan M

Ryan M Member

The guy I bought it from said that the original top was cork.

It now has a (poorly) retrofitted vinyl top.

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  18. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Cork was used for manufacturing pattern making, pre-Borco.

But, adjustable leaves (leafs?) seem more to do with some household/occupancy function.

19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a draw-leaf table. Not unusual per se. It is unusual with that base. Since the base is wood grain look, would think the top was originally the same. Think the tile is an add-on to disguise damage to the finish.

20. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's supercool, whatever it may be.

Draft saved Draft deleted