Mystery Mid Century Italian Brass or Gold Plated Flatware

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Serendipity, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

Hi Friends, I picked up this large case of flatware at an auction. Nobody else wanted it, presumably because it is so hard to identify. It's a large case with 2 levels. Many pieces are still in their original plastic wrappers. The auction house called it brass, but I have never seen brass flatware. The brass fixtures on the case are marked Italy. I have spent a lot of time researching the mark on the individual pieces, but have come up with nothing. Help! I haven't a clue as to how to write this up for sale. IMG_3221.jpg IMG_3222.jpg IMG_3221.jpg IMG_3222.jpg IMG_3223.jpg IMG_3220.jpg IMG_3219.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe the bamboo shaped handle points to some regions?

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Most likely gold plated.
    1950s-70s is a good likelihood.

The flatware may only be put in an Italian box. Could be made in Japan, Hong Kong or elsewhere.

Can you find a piece with a better mark and show us?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would get rid of those plastic bags before they start to disintegrate and ruin the finish on the flatware. My Aunt Re has a set of bronze flatware that looks gold plated I think the name is Dirigold or such it was a big seller in the 1960s/70s.
    greg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Much of that plated bronze was made in Thailand and imported, then reboxed.

And yes, ditch that plastic!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So far all I can say is that the locks are Italian made.:confused:
    I'm with obb, a lot of that brass/bronze cutlery was made in Thailand.

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thailand was my thought as well, but I didn’t want to commit. :hilarious:

8. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

The mark appears to be VK35-65AA. I was hoping it would be Italian, but Asian makes sense - Darn!
    IMG_5593.jpg

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't be disappointed. These were very expensive new and are well made.

10. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

Taking another look at the mark made me search again and I came up with something almost identical. https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...line-cutlery-sigvard-bernadotte/id-f_1119814/ The handle on the box is different, but the box is the same. The flatware is the same, but the VK mark....?

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing Bernadotte's 'Skantha/Scanline' pattern, which should be marked with one of those two names, it has narrower and thicker handles than yours. They are likely bronze or Dirigold/Dirilyte, which was originally a Scandinavian bronze-type alloy - feel sure the dating of your set would be about the same, circa 1960s...

~Cheryl

12. DragonflyWink

Skantha setting:
    bernadotteskantha.jpg

Your fork - can't see them in the box, but if that's a place fork, then the number of tines would also be a difference:
    bronzefork.jpg

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

You are so right! Wishful thinking, I guess.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sold at the autostrada gas stations in the 70s and 80s. no value.

15. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

While visiting various seaports during the 1970’s it seemed that every souvenir/gift shop had very similar sets displayed, seems like there was a choice of either red or blue velvet box lining, and there were a few different sizes of sets. That’s one souvenir I was always able to pass by, wondering what the heck I’d do with it later.

16. DragonflyWink

17. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

Yes, I'm convinced that it is the same kind of Nickel Bronze flatware from Thailand as your links. There seems to be an endless variety of it. Thanks so much to you, Cheryl, and the Antiquers community. It's awesome to have a place to come when I'm stumped on a purchase.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Darlingangel

Darlingangel New Member

I just got a similar same box and handle but are more shaped like the scan line set but now marked that only marked nickel bronze ? 143 pieces (missing one sppon) Could these be Sigvard bernotte? No Scanline mark but very similar. (like everyone else, living in hope)

Attached Files: