Mystery miniature painted? print? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Art' started by CheersDears, Jul 2, 2020.

1. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

This portrait measures 3.5cm in diameter and is on plastic. It has been cut, not particularly well, into a circle. There may be a signature lower right. I am holding it up to the light in the last two photos and have included a shot of the back. I reckon it has been highlighted by hand, but wonder why? What for? What purpose and what sort of age? Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

P1110311.jpg P1110312.jpg P1110317.jpg P1110315.jpg P1110313.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Probably for a jewelry casket. I have seen a lot of these embellished by hand with the raised enamel to give the impression of it all being hand painted.

3. CheersDears

That fits perfectly. A Google search turns up some much more desirable ones. Thanks laura9797!

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was thinking along similar lines, although was seeing it as a compact lid. Material looks like something similar to Celluloid. You frequently see this sort of enhancement to make transfers on porcelain look like they are actually hand painted when the subjects are period beauties like this.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1930s from the eye brows.

Debora

Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. CheersDears

Thanks. A compact is also a possibility. She has found a home in a vintage collapsible cup.

P1110321.jpg

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

These sort of little miniature paintings were popular in the early 1900s.
    Could very well have been taking out and the frame reused.

upload_2020-7-2_8-29-55.png upload_2020-7-2_8-30-29.png upload_2020-7-2_8-31-38.png upload_2020-7-2_8-32-6.png

Seems a shame to banish her to the bottom of a cup.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I would not exclude that it's a lithophane. these were also used at the bottom of beer steins, so that when the last drops were drunk you'd see a picture of the Kaiser :vomit: or a risky lady :jawdrop:.

Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Fid.....do you mean 'at the bottom of GLASS beer steins' where the portrait could be sealed on the outside bottom and wouldn't be ruined??

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

also in ceramic ones. but these were all round, so here it's a good chance that it's on a small container like a pill box and when you open it you'd see the lady by the light.

Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you.....I've saved it to read a bit later in the day.....sounds very interesting!!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  13. CheersDears

The have the cup on its side, clutteredcloset49, so it acts as a frame. She is pretty. Thanks for all this information, much appreciated.

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted