Featured Mystery Opalescent Fish Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by trishp, May 2, 2022.

1. trishp

trishp Member

003.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG Greetings. I have been searching for some time as to the maker of my opalescent fish vase. Mostly dead ends. It is not a Fenton piece. Any ideas?

KSW, Figtree3, Born2it and 5 others like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

If you could photograph this on a white background we could see it better, in order to help you

KSW, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Why do you not think it is Fenton, as it looks just like the Atlantis pattern, are there some features which are different?

KSW, lvetterli, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The shape of the vase is similar to something Fenton would do. However, Fenton doesn't grind the bottoms of their glass.

The shape is throwing me off.
    I first thought Verlys, or Sabino, but can't find that shape.

KSW, Lucille.b, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Really pretty, please submit a photograph on a white background.
    More research will be in order please, @trishp

EDITED to ask how big is this please? It may be fenton or sabino.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    KSW, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And natural light, it looks like you took it inside, is that why it is so yellow?

KSW, antidiem and Lucille.b like this.
  8. trishp

trishp Member

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG Hello. Many years ago I was in touch with Ferrill Rice. She contacted Frank Fenton who said it was not his (different base & no Fenton logo). I've decided it's time to resurrect my quest ;-) Here are some better photos. It measures
    7 3/8"D x 6 3/8"H.

KSW, TallCakes, pearlsnblume and 6 others like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Hmm, I think it is so close to the Fenton Atlantis vase that it must be a copy/knockoff surely if it isn't Fenton. Or did it have a chipped or wobbly base and someone had it ground flat?

laura9797, Lucille.b and TallCakes like this.
  10. trishp

trishp Member

Hmm. I don't think the bottom has been ground flat. My vase is almost an inch wider at the top, with a flare. Also, the base on mine goes straight down whereas the Atlantis base is rounded. I just unearthed and reread the letter from Ferill Rice again, and in it she states that Fenton bought this mould from U.S. Glass in 1969; but that she never, ever saw a piece of U.S. glass in this pattern.

laura9797 likes this.
  11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Lalique would make more than one shape from the same mould, eg a coupe and plate by manual working after moulding. Same possibility here, perhaps a trial piece, or for exhibition then.

laura9797 and Lucille.b like this.
  12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

KSW, komokwa, laura9797 and 2 others like this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've got about at least a dozen of these puppies made by Fenton and I believe they are all marked as such (they're in a cabinet and I'd need to do some gymnastics to get them all out to check). All mine are straight sided - the flared examples are much harder to find. Most of the Verlys molds that Fenton used were American Verlys. Many of these molds are shown in Carole and Wayne McPeek's Verlys of America book but a fish pattern is not among them. The McPeek's book may not be inclusive. I've either got examples of most of the Fenton versions of the American Verlys molds in my collection or have sold them. I believe all were signed with the Fenton oval mark. I'm not sure if Fenton also used Verlys of France molds although the Verlys of France and the American Verlys did at least share some designs/molds (Gems and the Duck Tray for example are shown in both the French and American catalogs. The only Poissons piece in the American Verlys catalog is a double handled bowl that does not show in Fenton's lines. I can post a picture of that bowl if anyone would find it helpful). My suspicion is that Fenton made all new molds for their Atlantis pattern. The fairy lamp would be the most obvious example of a form not known in either French or American Veryls.

The condensed version is: I checked my Verlys books and couldn't find a fish vase represented in either the American or the French books. The closest pattern is the Les Poisson line that Tallcakes but there is no vase shown. I do agree that the vase above is not Fenton.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and trishp like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Now in better lighting, it's not Sabino. Appears to be signed.
    Can any enlargements be taken of this writing?
    1.png

komokwa likes this.
  15. trishp

trishp Member

The bottom does have scratches on it. But, I included a photo of this area because of exactly what you mention antidiem. It looks like there might be some type of etching/script. I did try looking at it through a loupe, but couldn't discern it. Don't know if this has any relevance--but it's quite weighty, too: 3 lb 6.3 oz

KSW likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I wonder if it's Barolac.

KSW likes this.
  17. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

18. trishp

trishp Member

wOw.....except for size variation, the Duncan version looks pretty close...

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  19. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I actually thought Duncan when I saw that scalloped opalescent vase! Great find!

KSW likes this.
  20. trishp

trishp Member

Update: Per Duncan Glass Museum: My Tropical Fish #128 Sculptured Line/Cape Cod Blue vase was designed by Robert May circa 1943.

KSW, cfh, laura9797 and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted