Featured Mystery solved......... YEAH :)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Feb 23, 2018.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

A while back I posted a thread inquiring about the smaller Cherub box as to what date and where it may have been made and what value it might have. I have been doing this investigation for a long time and thought I would never find out for sure but just recently I found, and bought another box with a very similar construction, that description allowed me to find other similar pieces and now I'm sure my Cherub box was made in Milan Italy. This ware is called "Milanese ebony and Ivory" well that's the best way of searching for it on Google. I am yet to receive the new "nude" box but I'm very excited to have two late 18th early 19th C? boxes that have art works from Italy from that period. Let me know what you think :) s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg DSCF2023 (1) (Medium).JPG DSCF2025 (1) (Medium).JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congratulations on the progress you've made on these. Both are lovely!

3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Is that real ivory, and if so is that kind of cracking common on old ivory? I have a miniature painting that has some long cracking in it like that but I haven't been sure what the material was.

judy, 808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous, raver. Always so nice to find out more about an item, isn't it?
    Yes, ivory can crack, especially when it ages. Your miniature could be ivory, why don't you post a photo?
    Here are two very cracked Indonesian ivory keris hilts:

upload_2018-2-23_17-40-57.jpeg
    The one on the left is 17th-18th century from Central Madura, the one on the right 16th-17th century from West Madura. The last one has a red gold hilt cup which can't be removed, but you can see the cracks just above the cup.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. 808 raver

Thank you :) It's been a while coming

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  6. 808 raver

Very likely your miniature is painted on ivory, very common. If you post a pic I might be able to tell from the cracking if it's ivory or not

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. 808 raver

Thank you Any, are they your Keris's? they look very special indeed

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Fabulous boxes! :cat:

judy and 808 raver like this.
  9. 808 raver

Thank you :)

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Thank you, yes they are mine. I mainly collect keris from Madura and North Java.
    Lately I've been the looking for specific East Javanese keris too, like the little darling in this thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/rare-women’s-keris-from-east-java.18187/
    The most beautiful and diverse keris hilts and sheaths were made in Madura, where the rules regarding shapes and execution weren't as rigid as in some other parts of the keris culture. I am part Madurese (former island kingdom north of Java), and may be a bit biased.;)
    I've been thinking of showing some hilts in a new thread, just to show the diversity and beauty of those small works of art. Must take some more photos.

808 raver likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

TY for the link....I missed that thread entirely.

Your collection is amazing!

808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Thanks, I really enjoy their company.:happy: The craftsmanship and artistry of the makers of these little (and bigger) beauties is amazing.

808 raver and judy like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nudge. Just did just that, in the Art section.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted