Featured Mystery vase with no (?) markings

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mysteryvase, Apr 29, 2019.

1. mysteryvase

mysteryvase New Member

IMG_4514.JPG IMG_4515.JPG IMG_4516.JPG IMG_4517.JPG Hello,
    I am new to this forum and hoping you will be able to help me.

I have read all the rules but hope I do this correctly so please be patient if I have done this wrong..! Photos attached.

I like finding old vases in antique shops etc. I bought a pair of them with this floral design, but can't work out any information about where they are from/what they are as they don't really seem to have markings on the bottom? The only mark they both have is a dark blue sort of S-like shape, the only reference to this kind of thing I have found is Russian/St Petersburg but the S on the vases looks nothing like the examples of the Russian one I have found.

Can anyone help?! Many thanks for your patience and your advice.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi Mystery Vase. Could you please go back and edit your post and at the bottom click on full image for everything. This will help members identify your vases. @i need help has a snapshot of this screen, so if you don't figure it out, maybe she can post it.

mysteryvase, KSW, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

My guess is modern Japanese, 1970s or later, probably had stickers.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's mid to late 19th Century, made in Staffordshire somewhere. Polychrome decorated over transferware with a bit of a nod towards an Imari colour palette. The S is probably a decorator's mark - they were paid on how many they painted.

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I love how you just rattled that off. Amazing knowledge!

mysteryvase, Jaena, Jivvy and 4 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

;)

It's the thing of if you see lots of them, you get familiar. This style did go on till into the 20th, but my gut feel is 19th. They were fashionable: Masons, for example.

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Wait til you get her going on flowers! :)

8. Ownedbybear

There is that, too. ;)

9. mysteryvase

mysteryvase New Member

Thank you so much for your help! Am amazed by your knowledge and your kindness in sharing it. Very much appreciated (and I managed to figure out the full image thing too in the end..!).

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Be aware that before (around) 1900, the US did not require manufacturer identification on imported wares. Therefore before that time any marks were put on for the manufacturer's purposes, either to identify shape or artist, or whatever, and are usually meaningless to us. today.

11. Sarah Stothard

Sarah Stothard New Member

look 30s transfare design low value

Draft saved Draft deleted