Mystery watch - which end of the 19th century and wheredunnit?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by evelyb30, Apr 5, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This wasn't a high end watch. The case is steel and brass, but I like the crystal. I popped the back dust lid, possibly for the first time in the life of the watch. It just says Swiss Made but does have some jeweling. No names. The balance wheel still moves freely but the minute hand is bent around the second hand dial so I wouldn't try winding it.

This came in a lot of stuff from the UK a long while ago. It doesn't have a mark to bless itself with. It feels older rather than newer, but where was the case done?
    DSCF3794.JPG DSCF3797.JPG DSCF3793.JPG DSCF3796.JPG

stracci and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

According to online sources Patek Philippe introduced the "keyless works" in 1841. Won't be earlier than that.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet... "The term Swiss Made has been around since the late 19th century..."

Debora

4. evelyb30

So late 19th to early 20th then, most likely. I was hoping for earlier, but oh well.

5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

No expert but I would be reluctant to describe it as late 19th. More like 1920s-40s to me based on the ones I have handled.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I know ZIP, but couldn't twist my head around that far, and like the scrolling along with Swiss Made!!!

DSCF3797-X.jpg

stracci likes this.
  7. evelyb30

At any rate, I have a feeling it's actually watch parts rather than a watch at this point. Steel mechanisms usually aren't worth a lot from what little I know.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Looks like a fairly standard mid-range pocketwatch, early 20th century. There doesn't seem to be anything too remarkable about it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks typically 1920s or 30s to me. Not much value I'm afraid.

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

My Dad said these were known as poor mans pocket watches sold by Woolworths in the UK, they were unbranded and cost 5 Shillings late 30's early 40's.

evelyb30, Vee and PortableTreasures like this.
  11. Vee

Vee Member

And you can pick them up for less than £5 now

12. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

I think it's Russian. May have come in from the East Bloc with a refugee following WW II. I can't translate the stamp but it looks Cyrillic to me. Perhaps someone knows Russian?

13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That is not Russian it is marked AIIIIR
    Advance and Retard the I's inbetween the A&R are the markers.
    It was bought from the UK.

14. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

That makes sense. It's likely a Woolworth Special then. Like the ubiquotous TIMEX used to be in the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted