Featured Mythological Parian or Bisque figure group

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by blooey, Jan 28, 2020.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Purchased this figure group last week and subsequently identified it as a Thuringian production by Porzellanfabrik Hertwig & Co., marked on the back with their logo:

mark.jpg

The piece stands about a foot tall and depicts a figure of Mercury with a goat at his feet. Mercury (or Hermes) is cradling a child resting upon what seems to be a lion-headed length of fabric or perhaps a skin ...and presenting the child to whom I assume is the mother.

figure1.jpg
    I thought at first I was looking at the birth of cupid, but I'm not so sure that IS the subject as Venus wasn't involved with Mercury as far as I know!

Any suggestions on what's going on here gratefully received!

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I know the goat symbolizes fertility. Since I went with "Dionysus" on the other post, I may as well continue down that road. I'll do my best here as it's been a while since I studied /read about Greek lore. Dionysus was Semeles' baby by Zeus. Dionysus was born twice. First, he came from an incestuous union between Zeus and his daughter, Persephone. After being killed, he was reborn from a union between Zeus and Semele, the youngest daughter of the Phoenician hero, Cadmus, and of Harmonia, the goddess of harmony and concord. Zeus seduced Semele in disguise, and Hera found out, got jealous (What else was new?), and coerced him into returning to the woman in god form. When he did, his countenance turned Semele to ashes. Zeus somehow salvaged their unborn baby and nurtured it to birth. After Dionysus was born, to spare it from Hera's wrath, Zeus tasked Hermes with bringing the baby to Ino (the Queen of Thebes and sister of Semele) and Athamas (the King), both of whom would disguise him as a girl. I think Hermes put the baby in the care of Lo, Semale's sister, though; maybe that is what this is depicting. Then again, Hermes also was tasked with rescuing and /or rearing other infants, including Arcas and Helen of Troy. Maybe he is presenting one of them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Gorgeous piece. I can see why you were attracted to it, but I can't help you with the mythology.

Bronwen, dude and kyratango like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Browen in a while. Hope she is ok.

7. KikoBlueEyes

She liked something on Thursday.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I sent her a message yesterday, but haven't heard from her yet. I was thinking of emailing her if she doesn't reply.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I worried she seemed to be rare lately:nailbiting:
    Hoping too there is nothing bad:eek:
    Let us know if she emails you :)

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Bronwen, dude and 3 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Yes, she has only made rare, short appearances, and the last was on thursday.:( Which is why I was getting worried.
    Of course I will let you know.:)

Bronwen, aaroncab and kyratango like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Me too.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Here's a painting of a very similar scene.

the_birth_of_bacchus.jpg

Flemish school 15th century, Moulins, Musee d’Art et d’Archeologie

Bronwen, dude, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Of course.:)

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Dude, I didn't realize at the time that this was the same story from the Greek perspective and of course ....Bacchus IS Dionysus DUH! ..you nailed it first out of the gate - thanks again!

Figtree3, Bronwen, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  17. dude

dude Well-Known Member

My pleasure, B. I finally beat someone to the punch! Does this mean I get my first "best answer"? Zippity Doo Dah!

18. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

19. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You and Aaron both get one from me today! Congrats!

kyratango likes this.
  20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Oops - just realized only *one* post can get best answer ..sorry guys!

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted