Name and Good Brand of the instrument jewelers put to their eye request

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rknarr2, Jun 1, 2022.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what that instrument jewelers put to their eye to look at markings such as company name and number of karats on gold jewelry is called? What is a good brand to buy, too? Thank you. Rob

Ce BCA and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's called a loupe.
    The lens is usually 10x, and some are 20x or more.
    The one shown below is a double.
    I have several, and keep one in my purse.
    You never know when you might need it!
    GUEST_19bb6764-de55-4d87-89c3-a5905b46e1e9.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Buy a decent one, using a cheap plastic loupe is miserable work. The best are by Zeiss, and Belomo are also good and nicely corrected although they are from Belorussia so there may be a problem getting them now. Look for glass triplets, these are corrected and give a much better viewing experience. Ones with an led light can be useful for dingy salerooms and church halls. 10x magnification is the standard, a 20x may be useful on occasion but they are more difficult to use especially if you don't have good light.

For at home use a good binocular low power microscope knocks spots off any loupe, but much bigger and a lot more expensive of course.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The one I've been using for 15 years (bottom) P1880769.JPG
    was $1.99 with free shipping from china on feebay.
    The top one was a more recent purchase to have a a spare. Up to $2.99. Both have fine optics. 20X. The newer one is less comfortable on my finger due to thinner frame.

It is ludicrous to pay for a name.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have a 40x, and one of the doubles on my kitchen table. A 12x, odd number for sure, lives in my purse; I found it in my dad's miniature tools and Lord alone knows how old it is.

Figtree3 and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted