Featured Name for this style of Indian wood & silver bangle?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Hello Worldly Boarders,
    I have a pair of wood and sterling (tested) bangles which came in a cardboard/metal corners box. The box is stamped with the name "Dhanamal Chellaram, Jeweller, Silk & Curio Merchant" in "Fort, Bombay". I am assuming the bangles were purchased from this vendor.

Is there a name for this kind of bracelet? Anyone have an idea of the wood species or age? There are non-English/non-numerical marks on each one, I have included photos but I can't say which way the marks should be oriented. I also included the tag with hand-writing. I imagine it may name the item or at least the price?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Pr_Indian_Wood_Sterling_bangles_box_2.jpg Pr_Indian_Wood_Sterling_bangles_box_3.jpg Pr_Indian_Wood_Sterling_bangles_box_4.jpg Pr_Indian_Wood_Sterling_bangles_box_5.jpg Pr_Indian_Wood_Sterling_bangles_box_6.jpg Pr_Indian_Wood_Sterling_bangles_box_7.jpg

Figtree3, elarnia, ulilwitch and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They're just bangles I think.

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

More than Indian, they rather look like Chinese rattan or bamboo silver bangles!

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Marks are Chinese, box looks Raj period, 20s ish. One tag says 1/14 pair.

Figtree3, ulilwitch, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Found shop in 1918 and 1923.

Debora

7. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Oh, drat! I wrote an extended reply but I wasn't signed in so it's gone! Well, I'll condense: Thanks to all!

I see the Chinese influence and found eBay pieces labeled Chinese but none from India! Of course, Google search for "Indian" gives you all kinds of American Indian items too, boo! I was wondering if the wood is rattan or bamboo, may not be important.

So, we have some possibly Chinese bangles in a Bombay box. I'm perplexed. I'll wait for a response from @Any Jewelry before I try to decide how to define it.

Figtree3, ulilwitch, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A box can't identify a provenance, unless it is consistent with era, provenance and obviously fitted for the piece as in old parure cases where you can see the imprint of the jewels;)
    Example:
    Screenshot_20211028-092159_Pinterest_103574278204724.jpg

Figtree3, komokwa, ulilwitch and 3 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Curioser. I'm with @kyratango and @Ownedbybear , definitely Chinese, and rattan and silver. Bangles were often worn in pairs, and could be given as dowry or wedding gifts. I don't know if these were wedding related.

I also agree with kyra, there is no way of knowing the bangles were originally sold in the box.

The marks look pretty illegible, but I'll tag @Asian Fever anyway, hoping there is enough there to make out what it says.:nailbiting::)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So sweet but I would suspect box + bangles a marriage.

Debora

kyratango, ulilwitch and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Like as not, but why can't Chinese jewellery be sold in an Indian jewellery shop? Indian jewellery is sold in the US, not to mention plenty from China.

ulilwitch likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. But in that era... Hard for me to imagine the circumstances where a Chinese bangle would be imported to India for sale.

Debora

Bronwen, kyratango and ulilwitch like this.
  13. Bronwen

Thought China has been trading for a very long time. Marco Polo & all that. If they wanted ivory, India was the place to get it.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't question the fact that there was trade between India and China.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about the bangles plus box. India has always made plenty of jewelry, but women like variety so some enterprising jeweler might have imported some just because.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

During the Raj, enterprising shops in India imported all manner of things to sell to the memsahib. That box is a giveaway: the word curios. This wasn't a shop which sold to locals, for want of a better word. Indian women wanted and still want gold.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The mentions I found on the internet were all from trade directories for foreigners.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Which makes perfect sense.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted