Name for this Wedgwood Urn

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kellaurm, Aug 17, 2020.

1. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Hi, I can't seem to find another one like it on the web. Does anyone know if there is a name for this pattern or how old/rare it may be? Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.52.28 PM.png

aaroncab likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It would be helpful to show the marks.

Rec and komokwa like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Paging @Bronwen - a classical scene for you.

Rec, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, please post a close-up photograph of the Wedgwood mark.

Debora

Rec and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

393B60DC-BF79-4D57-A20D-C57C35C794E8.jpeg 2D640158-7025-4D0F-AA9A-8BED725A4A4E.jpeg Is there a different scene on the reverse?
    This is from a dead link.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This auction gives this background (have not verified).

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/71516320_a-wedgwood-blue-jasper-tablet-circa-1860-after-the

"Camillo Pacetti (1758-1826) was engaged by Josiah Wedgwood in Rome from 1787 under Flaxman’s supervision. He modelled six tablets illustrating the life of Achilles in 1788. A pen and wash drawing by Pacetti of Achilles on the back of Centaur hunting a Lion is in the Wedgwood Museum Barlaston. The source of the design was a classical marble the Luna Disc of c. 800-400 BC in the Capitoline Museum.’ (The Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge Object No.C.36-1935)"

upload_2020-8-17_16-49-54.png

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That's exactly what's happening in that scene: Achilles is given to 'the good centaur' (the others are all lock up your daughters) Chiron for his education. I'm not familiar with a specific episode in that education that involves lion hunting, but that's obviously what's going on in the second scene.

i need help likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Quite a piece. I only have one book on Wedgwood & it doesn't show one exactly like this. What I do get from it is that this body shape may be called 'Trophy' & it would be said to be on a plinth. The lid seems to be not so common & makes it an urn instead of a vase.

Other members have had good luck contacting the Wedgwood Museum:

http://www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk/home

i need help likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Most of the similars I've seen are called covered urns. The Met calls these vases with covers. Wonder if they're meant to be displayed in pairs.

Debora

25c2d8a613ff7a054411c19dddf29f9d.jpg

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  12. Bronwen

13. Ision

Ision Member

Rare and expensive Wedgwood closed urn, made in the late 1700s, circa 1788, depicting the life of Achilles, by Pacetti for Wedgwood. Value would be in the thousands of dollars at auction. A small 9" dip vase, with edge chips, for this same pattern and year, sold in 2010 for over $3,555.00 dollars, for example.

Have this item professionally appraised.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

please show the mark at the bottom. and a closeup of the decoration so we can see clearly the raised decoration. also a picture from the inside of the vase is appreciated

Edit: the blue color is odd.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted