NAME OF TYPE/STYLE - VINTAGE FLOOR CLOCK w/ANTIQUE GERMAN MOVEMENT

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 29, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a yard sale today - they were asking $195, but I was able to buy it for $125. The lady said she thought it was a 60's era case & that it had a turn of the century clock movement in it.
    The movement is key wound & keeps perfect time so far. It has F. Mauthe Germany stamped in the side of it.

It's the case I am curious about most - what style is this called? It's not a grandfather clock right? (even though it's about 5' +/- tall, it doesn't "feel" like a grandfather clock to me) + it has no pendulum + the octagon shaped face is one I haven't seen before. Any idea what age?
    I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CLOCK GERMAN FLOOR 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CLOCK GERMAN FLOOR 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CLOCK GERMAN FLOOR 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY CLOCK GERMAN FLOOR 4AAA.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I've known the smaller size to be called a Grandmother's clock.

But wait for others...................:cat:

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

6. journeymagazine

That's it! But it only sold for $120? Maybe with the key & keeping perfect time (couple of hours so far) mine is worth more?
    Thank you all!
    PS - I like Longcase name better than granddaughter; sounds too feminine? - but I think a longcase is for wall hanging clocks, no?

judy likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No it is the correct term for what people call grandfather, grandmother etc.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...hXHB8AKHVM7AVsQ_AUoAnoECAAQBA&biw=975&bih=450

Messilane and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's marked Germany, so it was made after 1890. I actually like the paint in this case.

judy likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That color makes it stand out far more than were it wood! I love it,very cool !

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  10. journeymagazine

I think the Mauthe W 500 VII movement is from the 1950's if I read/googled it right. The seller told me it was a mid century case with a turn of the century movement :(

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There is NO such thing as a Grandfather, Grandmother or granddaughter clock. They are long case clocks. It was only after a poem or song about Grandfathers clock on the landing which is why people started with the new nomenclature.
    greg

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd call it a pedestal clock. In effect it is a mantel clock on a plinth. The long case of a long case clock is to accomodate the pendulum and is an essential part of the design. In this case it is just a thing to stand the movement on.
    The movement is the right one for this 1960s clock. The 'floating balance' escapement was not used before this time, and it could be later by a decade or so.

The style is loosely inspired by 18th C French design. Very loosely.

13. journeymagazine

Thank you!

judy likes this.
  14. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is made by Colonial mfg. of Zeeland, Mich., 1960's. They used German movements post 1940's. Colonial was a quality furniture maker who produced many clocks as early as 1900. They were contracted to by Henry Ford's Edison Institute - 1930's to 60's to make high end reproductions of furniture and clocks. I've seen this clock offered, not in green though. I have several pieces of Colonial mfg. furniture and clocks with Mauthe movements. . . really nice quality. Also have seen this exact dial in other clocks by Colonial.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Figtree3, aaroncab and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted